The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Unidentified northern CA caudate

This is a discussion on Unidentified northern CA caudate within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I found this caudate last month along Hwy 299 between Redding and Arcata, near Salyer. It was under a rock ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2003   #1 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I found this caudate last month along Hwy 299 between Redding and Arcata, near Salyer. It was under a rock next to the highway. I thought it was P.elongatus, but I'm having second thoughts. I saw a pic of an Aneides flavipunctatus that was identical, but it's the only pic of one I've ever seen that looked this gray. This animal was more gary than the photo shows. Any thoughts.

RUSSClick the image to open in full size.

Old 12th June 2003   #2 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The photos are a bit blurry, but I'd guess with 99% certainty that it is Aneides flavipunctatus based on the structure of the feet. They can certainly be grey and even covered with greenish speckles depending on the location.

Old 13th June 2003   #3 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm leaning that way too. I didn't realize how different it looked from the other P.elongatus I saw on the trip until I started comparing the pics. What stinks is that I was looking for A.f. and that was the only one I saw. I did find A.vagrans though.

RUSS

RUSS

Tags
caudate, northern, unidentified

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 4th July 2017, 22:43 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack