The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Typhlotriton spelaeus

This is a discussion on Typhlotriton spelaeus within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello, here's some photos of my Typhlotritons. <center> </center> <center> </center> <center> </center> <center> </center> Here's some photos of the ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2003   #1 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hello, here's some photos of my Typhlotritons.

<center>Click the image to open in full size.</center>

Here's some photos of the larvae.

Old 13th April 2003   #2 (permalink)
ralf

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Once again Nate. Excellent pictures of a rare species (both in captivity and in the wild). Did you collect respectively breed these yourself?
Hopefully you can use this coolpix a little longer and treat us to some further "visual thrills".

Ralf

Old 13th April 2003   #3 (permalink)
yago

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Great pictures and what a curious animal!!!
Did you breed them? How many thyplotritons do you have?
Any information and curiosities about their captive care?
Best wishes

Old 13th April 2003   #4 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks guys. I collected them myself but have not bred them yet. I only have two adult males so far and the larval period can last as long as 5 years. I suspect they will be easy to breed. They are easy captives, very hardy, and surprisingly aggressive feeders.

Ralf, while rare in captivity, Typhlotriton is not rare in the wild and larvae are often very abundant in surface streams and springs.

Yago, I currently keep 5 animals. Some past molecular data has shown that Typhlotriton is really a specialized Eurycea, very closely related to the E. m. griseogaster/E. tynerensis complex.

Old 15th April 2003   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Cute lil' bugger. Can it actually see? Looks a bit like an olm to me.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2003   #6 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The larvae see perfectly. The amount of eye degeneration in the adults varies. Some can still see crickets moving or a shadow moving over their head. This particular adult cannot see anything though as far as I can tell.

Old 2nd June 2003   #7 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The bugger with Typhlotriton is that you can find hundreds of larvae, but the adults are trickier to find. I know a couple of streams near Noel, AR, that are loaded with larvae. But I've only found a handfull of adults, and we used to spelunk quite a bit.

RUSS

Tags
spelaeus, typhlotriton

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 11 (Set)

Diogo Juliao, End, Greatwtehunter, Grin, John, kimbo, movax, Msteffen, ozarkhellbender, pixolite, sirus14
LinkBack