The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Question about two-lined/longtail sallies (Eurycea longicauda/cirrigera)

This is a discussion on Question about two-lined/longtail sallies (Eurycea longicauda/cirrigera) within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Does all the Eurycea larvae (longicauda/cirrigera to be specific) actually take 1-3 years to transform into a terrestial sallie? Also, ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2002   #1 (permalink)
steve

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Does all the Eurycea larvae (longicauda/cirrigera to be specific) actually take 1-3 years to transform into a terrestial sallie?

Also, how do you know how far along they are? Mine are about 1/2"-ish and very short gills, they love to run from light and burrow under gravel.

Steve

*I know i have around 3 posts, but these questions are bugging me.

Old 27th July 2002   #2 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Steve, longicuada usually take 4-8 months. E. cirrigera can take much longer, up to 3 years. There's really no way to tell how old they are for sure, you can only guess. But captivity usually makes them grow and therefore mature faster due to increased food supply, so you can shorten this period.

Old 28th July 2002   #3 (permalink)
steve

Gallery Images:
Comments:

any way to know which larvae (longicauda/cirrigera) i have?

*also: they have all four legs and short gills.

I gave them around 3-4" water,planted,moss, and a rock to climb out, WILL they climb out and STAY out (on rock) when ready to be terrestial?

Old 28th July 2002   #4 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wait, are these the same larvae we're having the Notophthalmus discussion about? If so, I highly doubt they are either.

If not, it's difficult to explain here. I've had larvae of both and can distinguish them in person, but I'd be hard-pressed to explain the differences to you here. As they approach metamorphoses though, they acquire the pattern of adults. So if cirrigera, they'll develop the two lines along the back typical of adults.

Old 28th July 2002   #5 (permalink)
steve

Gallery Images:
Comments:

no, different "seperated" larvae.

Old 7th December 2002   #6 (permalink)
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I don't know if it's too late, but try emailing Ronn Altig. He used to teach at Mississippi State University and specialized in the larvae of frogs and salamanders. You can email him at rga2@ra.msstate.edu

Old 8th December 2002   #7 (permalink)
steve

Gallery Images:
Comments:

these guys already morphed.

thanks

stevel

Tags
(eurycea, question, sallies, twolined or longtail

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 14 (Set)

AdvythAF, Antony Rossi, Bmarion, cschilling80, End, LydiaL, Risigan, ryno71, salamanderlogic, sirus14, spendday, taherman, View, Vort
LinkBack