The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Gyrinophilus porphyriticus

This is a discussion on Gyrinophilus porphyriticus within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I am looking for information on this species. Some places say it is aquatic, others say it is a stream ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2001   #1 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I am looking for information on this species. Some places say it is aquatic, others say it is a stream side salamander, please tell me which one it is. Also any experiences that people have had with them in captivity. Any info at all would be appreciated. Also, how hard are they to aquire. Thanks.
Mark

Old 8th March 2001   #2 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have found out all of the basic information that I need to know to properly care for this species. Now all I have to do is find a breeder...

Old 8th March 2001   #3 (permalink)
nimbus2

Gallery Images:
Comments:

There are no breeders of Gyrinophilus. You'll have to either collect some yourself or find someone who can collect them for you.

Old 9th March 2001   #4 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well, I won't be able to get them myself, since I don't live anywhere near them, so anybody out there who does or often encounters them, please e-mail me!

Old 7th December 2002   #5 (permalink)
kiley

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I don't know that they would make a good captive pet. They need fresh flowing very cold and very clean spring water with lots of oxygen. Usually in the wild they are found under big flat rocks close to waterfalls. I don't know how you could get the habitat close enough to what they need in order to make them happy.

Old 7th December 2002   #6 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Those conditions are easy enough to reproduce these days. Cold water setups can be accomplished with chillers, basements, air conditioning, and generous aeration. I keep/have kept Gyrinophilus, Pseudotriton, Desmognathus, Typhlotriton, and Eurycea in such conditions and they do as well as any aquatic Salamandrid, becoming very tame.

Tags
gyrinophilus, porphyriticus

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 8 (Set)

bartkovichm, jcruz, navaros, sirus14, Sith the turtle, taherman, warrior, Yahilles
LinkBack