The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Plethodon cinereus in the Ozarks?

This is a discussion on Plethodon cinereus in the Ozarks? within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Got some sals from a friend today. A couple of weeks back he went on a herping trip to someplace ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2001   #1 (permalink)
ed

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Got some sals from a friend today. A couple of weeks back he went on a herping trip to someplace in the Ozarks. He told he brought back Slimy Sals, Ozark Zigzags, and Ozark Redbacks? I asked him for a couple of Slimys and a couple of ZigZags. When they arrived, I think he sent me the Redbacks instead(he had Red marked on the container they were in). Is there such a thing as an Ozark Redback sal? Or does this guy not know what he's talking about. I think I read in the Audoboun(sp?)Field guide that Zigzags were native to the Ozarks, but it didn't mention anything about cinereus.

Old 17th March 2001   #2 (permalink)
nimbus2

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Ed, there are southern redbacks (P. serratus) in the Eastern Ozarks in addition to the Ozark Zig-Zags (P. angusticlavius), which occur in the western Ozarks and are much more difficult to find. The two are quite similar in appearance. If you want, email me some photos or the specific location of where your friend went and I'll tell you what you have.

Old 17th March 2001   #3 (permalink)
ed

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks Nimbus. I figured you would be the one to know Click the image to open in full size..
I'll take some pics and either send them to ya, or post em here.

Tags
cinereus, ozarks, plethodon

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 7 (Set)

bilalmalik87, gnarvin, Herb, Hunter9, Jan, Jari B, Yahilles
LinkBack