The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Aneides lugubris eggs (another)

This is a discussion on Aneides lugubris eggs (another) within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I moved my Seaside eggs this morning at ~70 days, though they weren't as far along as I expected. I'm ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2007   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Aneides lugubris eggs (another)

I moved my Seaside eggs this morning at ~70 days, though they weren't as far along as I expected. I'm going to try something a little different this time. I have placed the cover they are attached to, instead of detaching them, in a container they can be raised in and am skipping the Perlite. The groundcover is Reptibark. I also placed a couple of peices of pine bark in the enclosure for future cover. I'm a little nervous about trying something new after loosing that clutch of 40+ last season, but I question the viability of eggs that are trapped at the bottom of the clutch when placed on the ground as when using my standard method.
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides lugubris eggs (another)-aleggs28jul07-1-.jpg   Aneides lugubris eggs (another)-aleggs28jul07-b-.jpg  

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Awesome photos, Russ. You are doing some real pioneering work with this species. Good luck with the brood.

Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

It's time!
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides lugubris eggs (another)-alhatching06aug07.jpg  

War is Peace
Old 6th August 2007   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

That's incredible! How will you raise them? They're so tiny... you'll need plenty of spring tail cultures. They look too small even for D.melanogaster.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Yep, lots of springtails. I was using a form of pillbug too, but my colony took a dump and I have to restart them (and they're slow).

RUSS

War is Peace
Old 7th August 2007   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Yes, woodlice can be awfully slow, even tropical varieties. Fortunately spring tails are quite quick to culture. With a bit of experimenting itís possible to stunt D.melanogaster to around 1mm. Set up cultures with half the amount of medium. The first flies to hatch will be normal size ~2mm but as the medium runs dry the flies start to get smaller (you can use the large flies to start your next stunted batch). By the end of the batch youíll have flies approaching 1mm. If you place a chunk of banana on the floor of their enclosure the sals can pick them off. I spent a while breeding tiny thumbnail frogs and picked up a few tips along the way .

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Yes, I have noticed that with my fly colonies. I'm currently using an end of cycle colony now to supplement the feeding of my hatchling A.vagrans.

War is Peace
Old 24th August 2007   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I just tried to do a head count. Only one egg failed to hatch and the best I could tell there are ~32 roaming around (I couldn't get them to hold still for a good count).

War is Peace
Old 28th November 2007   #9 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

How are things going Russ? I`m fascinated .

Old 29th November 2007   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

The ones I held back are doing well. I'm still just feeding them fruit flies and pill bugs, so their growth is rather slow. I need to bump them up a little with some pin-head crickets, I just hate paying for them (I'm going through 6K 1/4in a month now). I'm hoping that by seperating the trio that contains the albino male that I won't have a repeat of last season.

War is Peace
Old 29th November 2007   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 1
Rep: VirgiChris has shown reliable knowledgeVirgiChris has shown reliable knowledge

Any new pics ?

VirgiChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007   #12 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You should try hatching your own pinheads. We have a system pretty well figured out in Toledo that produces 30-50k pinheads/day from 2500 adults we buy every week. Saves us many thousands of dollars per year.

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I'll post some updated pics when I get home next week.

Tim, I did raise pin heads at one time, but my wife has banned adult crickets from the house. She didn't find their night time singing to be pleasant!

War is Peace
Old 5th December 2007   #14 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

That does make breeding tricky!

Old 6th December 2007   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information
Talking neat

Awesome pictures. Good luck with all of those hatchlings. Can't wait for more pics.

Cameron

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Here's an updated pic from this weekend. They're getting terribly habituated with their feeding routine. They'll all be under cover, but when I pop the lid, they start scrambling out and up the sides looking for flies.
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides lugubris eggs (another)-al-cb07-dec07.jpg  

War is Peace
Old 9th December 2007   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: VirgiChris has shown reliable knowledgeVirgiChris has shown reliable knowledge

It s very cute, thanks for this picture

VirgiChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information
Talking neat

Awesome. It sounds like you have got your hands full with these guys.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007   #19 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:

Hey Russ,

Got any baby vagrans photos?
-Tim

Old 10th December 2007   #20 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I'll have to post some of the vagrans and flavs when I get back from D.C., again.

War is Peace

Tags
aneides, eggs, lugubris

LinkBack