The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tropical salamanders

This is a discussion on Tropical salamanders within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Just a quick question for those in the know...With the ever expanding supply of dart frog varieties, why have we ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2007   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Comments: 3
Rep: caudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Tropical salamanders

Just a quick question for those in the know...With the ever expanding supply of dart frog varieties, why have we not seen a similar increase in availablity of tropical salamanders? With the wonderful variety of coloration and interesting adaptations and behaviors I would think there would be an incentive for field collectors to bring these to market along with the frogs, but outside of Bolitoglossa dofleini , there are rarely any available. Any ideas as to why? I have heard B. dofleini horror stories in terms of import mortality, but I have also heard that other species have had better success with the few who have seen/kept them. Just wondering...

caudataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 0
Rep: MRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and information

It would be nice. I personally enjoy creating hot(er) humid vivaria for tropical plants but I prefer newts to PDF's. This would be a bteer mix for me but I will not hold my breath.

MRIGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Bolitoglossids just die in captivity. Ed is the only person I've heard to keep them alive for any length of time, and (I think) it was only for 2 years.

Also, from what I gather, they're pretty hard to find.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007   #4 (permalink)
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

It was longer than 2 years closer to 5 years but there were some other people that kept them alive for a period of time.

They do not really like hotter terraria.. you would still be keeping them no warmer than the mid 70s F for the most part.
In general they are only found in limited numbers and most have really restricted ranges making any collection of them potentially really destructive to the populations.

Typically the ones that have been coming in are either B. mexicana or B. dolflini and both typically have a short life span usually dropping thier tails and dying in a matter of weeks to at most a couple of months.
They have now both been reported coming in infected with chytrid and on necropsy few have any fat bodies indicating that they have been starved for significant periods of time. Establishing them requires a lot of effort and usually veterinary support.
Due to the conditions of all of the ones I have seen for sale, I do not recommend anyone buying any of these imports at this time..

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

The last time that I remember seeing any was at a show about 3 to 4 years ago. After the show had closed on Sunday I was waiting around on a friend and was talking to a dealer who had quite a few B. dolflini left over, probably around 20 or 30 if memory serves. Anyway he offered the lot to me at cost but I declined. I was a little tempted but I remembered the warnings posted on this site about chytrid being strongly associated with Bolitoglossa and I did not want to risk bringing it home to the Tylototritons. I still think that it would be an interesting project at some point in the future however.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007   #6 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Dear all
Actually, these animals don't seem to be so difficult to maintain. We have some Bolitoglossa platydactyla for years and have succeeded in reproducing Pseudoeurycea cephalica and Chiropterotriton terrestris. Many of these animals live exactly like Plethodon and are quite easy to keep. Some species are so rare now that they can be kept only for a reproduction (reintroduction) program.

jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007   #7 (permalink)
AJC
(ajc)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: ajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Two new species of salamander discovered in Panama:
http://tinyurl.com/2tqrrf

ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007   #8 (permalink)
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Hi Jean,

They aren't hard if a person can get healthy animals, the problem is that the ones in the US pet trade have been badly mistreated and have a horrible death rate. Even experienced institutions (like the National Aquarium in Baltimore (NAIB) had a issue with imported B. mexicana (they came in with chytrid) and lost all but one despite prior experience with this species and significant medical support.

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007   #9 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)jean has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Hi Ed
Yes, I know. This is terrible.

jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Here's how I'm keeping 2.2 dolfini. The substrate is relatively dry but the humidity is at ~95%. I acheive this by placing a thermostatically controlled heat source under the enclusure directly under a flat clay pot bottom full of water. As the clay absorbs the water the heat increases the evaporation rate, thus the humidity. The temp only fluxuates between 72-76F. I'm feeding them crickets which are dusted with a calcium supplement twice a month. The bark slab on the left is actually two slabs laying on each other with the inner surfaces facing each other to create cover. They seem more content in the magnolia leaves though. So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Tropical salamanders-dolfonisetup.jpg  

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salamanders, tropical

LinkBack