The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Aneides lugubris color change

This is a discussion on Aneides lugubris color change within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I've tried to research this, but with no success with which I am satisfied, so I ask you: is it ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jpfloyd has started on the right path
Default Aneides lugubris color change

I've tried to research this, but with no success with which I am satisfied, so I ask you:

is it common knowledge/are you aware that A. lugubris can change colors as can some reptiles and amphibians?

I have a group of about twenty A. lugubris hatchlings and yesterday I noticed that, just as my Pacific Tree Frogs (Hyla regilla, perhaps) can, the lugubris young modify their body color when they climb up the walls of the translucent plastic container in which I have them.

On the quite dark substrate they are, well, quite dark; but when they spend any time up on the walls of the plastic container, their pigmentation lightens markedly.

When I first noticed this, (yesterday) I returned the individuals in question to the substrate and in three hours could not tell which ones they were, as their color had darkened to match their siblings.

Is this news, or am I traveling down a well worn path?

Oh, and thank you rust, without you and caudata.org, I wouldn't have twenty young to observe.

jpfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Well congrats on the clutch. Are they captive bred or from wild caught adults?

As for color changes I can't say I've ever noticed anything significant with mine. I do see some slight lightening, but there's never any correlation with substrate color the best I can tell. Now as hatchlings they are slightly translucent, maybe it's just light passing through them on the clear walls.

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jpfloyd has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust View Post
Well congrats on the clutch. Are they captive bred or from wild caught adults?

As for color changes I can't say I've ever noticed anything significant with mine. I do see some slight lightening, but there's never any correlation with substrate color the best I can tell. Now as hatchlings they are slightly translucent, maybe it's just light passing through them on the clear walls.
Thanks! They are from two wild caught adults. Last winter I got the adults (they are very common here) and they laid the clutch last July which hatched out this fall.

I've looked at them as per your suggestion and plan to do a few experiments to see if I can document any such color change.

Thanks for the reply!

jpfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008   #4 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I have noticed this in Aneides aeneus, but in greens it seems to be related to temperature (as in many frogs). The warmer they are the brighter green they get. When cold they can turn a dark grayish-green color.

-Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aneides, change, color, lugubris

LinkBack