The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Eurycea cirrigera breeding questions

This is a discussion on Eurycea cirrigera breeding questions within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have a gravid female Southern two-lined salamander and I just have a couple questions. How long does it take ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: herplvr has started on the right path
Default Eurycea cirrigera breeding questions

I have a gravid female Southern two-lined salamander and I just have a couple questions.

How long does it take for the eggs to hatch after they're laid at room temp (about 70F)?

Also, what is the best first-food for the larvae? I was thinking of using "green water" and small crustaceans such as cyclops and rotifers, as I heard these are the best first food for newly hatched sallies.

Thanks

herplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information
Default hi

Well I have raised this species before and I honestly can't tell you when they will hatch but when I raised mine from eggs I used pond water full of invertebrates when they first hatched and I used daphnia and water mites. As they grew bigger I gave them tubifex worms, chopped earthworms and then small ones and they morphed at about an inch. Hope this helps

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you. Definitely helps. I've got the female in a (temporary) critter cage with a piece of slate for her to lay her eggs under (I read they lay their eggs under rocks). It's small, maybe 6" long and 3" wide. It's crawling with little inverts (I think mainly cyclops, and some daphnia). I'm going to set them up a better container though, a 12" x 6" rubbermaid container. I just don't have a lid for it, so that's why the female is in such a small cage at the moment. I'm going to put a bunch of elodea in it and seed it with some of the cyclops and daphnia from the critter cage, and hopefully it will be enough to allow some of the larvae to survive.

Old 2nd March 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information

That sounds good. They do lay eggs on the undersides of rocks.

Have you seen this page: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Eu...rycea_sp.shtml
It may help

Old 2nd March 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yes, I've read it. Lots of great info. That's where I read they laid their eggs under rocks.

Do you know if females are supposed to darken up as they get closer to egg laying? My female seems to get darker and darker as she gets larger and larger from the eggs.

Old 2nd March 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Mine have darkened as they grew but it wasn't from eggs. They usually looked lighter becuase of the bright yellow eggs bulging out against their bellies.

Old 2nd March 2008   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Oh.

When the eggs start to develope in her stomach, does that mean they're fertilized, or are they ripe and ready to be fertilized?

Old 2nd March 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Depends on if she has mated. If the eggs are fertile she will lay them. If they are not then she will retain them and try again next year. Infertile eggs can also be seen through the female's belly. I had one that retained its eggs once -> http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...DVC00561-1.jpg
I also had a female die from a prolapse of the cloaca that I noticed after she laid her eggs.

Old 2nd March 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Do you know how to tell if they are fertile or not? She's been with a male for 3 weeks, so I'm going to assume that they're fertile.

Old 2nd March 2008   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

There is no definate way for me to tell that they are fertile unless the eggs are laid. I had two males with three females. Does the male have large cirri like this one-> http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=DVC00381.jpg

These are shown during breeding season and if they are present than there is a more likely chance that she has mated.

Old 2nd March 2008   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yes. They were at least that big. I released him as he would not eat, so I figured he would be better off in the wild. I've got some pictures I can post of his cirri. I took pictures of them to post on here anyways.

Old 2nd March 2008   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Well then I would suppose there is a greater chance that the eggs are fertile.

Old 2nd March 2008   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ok. Thank you for all of your help.

Old 2nd March 2008   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Thumbs up

Any time.

Tags
breeding, cirrigera, eurycea, questions

LinkBack