The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Arboreal salamander eating friutflies

This is a discussion on Arboreal salamander eating friutflies within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have a hatchling that I have had for about two months feeding on friutflies that hasn't grown hardly at ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd April 2008   #1 (permalink)
bcs

Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default Arboreal salamander eating friutflies

I have a hatchling that I have had for about two months feeding on friutflies that hasn't grown hardly at all. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it grow faster?

Old 2nd April 2008   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 0
Rep: paris has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and information

as long as hes eating dont worry. they sometimes go through growth spurts. they are slow at first then seem to grow overnight. just make sure to give it as much as it wants to eat, i have started offering mine small crickets too and they go after them with vigor.

paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Very true about the spurts. And they vary quite a bit too. I have 0.0.4 from a 2004 clutch that look as though they are from a three year spread because of their different growth rates. You may just have one of the slower ones.

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

When feeding fruit flies as a staple you should dust occasionally with a good supplement as they are not a complete food. I don’t know how large the sals are but other tiny live foods to try are tropical woodlice, spring tails and the larvae of the fruit flies (which are more nutritious than the flies themselves). An established culture of lesser wax worms would give you a range of worm size from 2mm > 12mm and you’ll be hard pushed to find a salamander who doesn’t go crazy for them.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jpfloyd has started on the right path
Default Re: arboreal salamander eating friutflies

Try feeding pinhead crickets. My lugubris young are waxing large on them.

jpfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arboreal, eating, friutflies, salamander

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 55 (Set)

apocalyptica139, axolotlgangster, benw, berksmike, bewilderbeast, CaesarsAnimals, cecalak, chrisf, cschilling80, cynopsonico, federnewt, Fer, grapeape, Gregarious, herpguy, Herphunter1998, Hunter9, inshi, jake96, Jari B, JessKB, josh, jpfloyd, KennyDB, KevinS, kumba830, Larryjo08, markusA, meleon, MikeM, napoleon, neonsal, nikolaus, ODell, onceidrewstuff, Plethodonae, rscarr3768, Samu7, simon, sirus14, skyler, somedude1234, Spectacled90, spendday, sprouse, stablefly, swooping, tindomul1of9, Vicky2996, VirgiChris, warrior, Yahilles, yama
LinkBack