The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Albino Aneides lugubris? Or what?

This is a discussion on Albino Aneides lugubris? Or what? within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello all, I recently found a newt under a wooden barrel in my yard. I live at about 6000 ft ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FrogEyes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: applejuice has started on the right path
Question Albino Aneides lugubris? Or what?

Hello all,

I recently found a newt under a wooden barrel in my yard. I live at about 6000 ft asl in the San Bernardino Mountains of southern California. I'm new to the area and I don't know the local amphibians, but the arboreal salamander is known to occur here. If this is Aneides lugubris, however, it must be a very lightly pigmented individual (I'm not sure that it's a true albino). I've attached a photo. Any assistance you can give in helping me identify this lovely fellow would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Albino Aneides lugubris? Or what?-pict0115.jpg  

applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: albino Aneides lugubris? Or what?

It's an Ensatina.

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

And it's not albino, it has black eyes.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: applejuice has started on the right path

Thanks for the ID. Do you have any guess as to the species or subspecies?

applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Ensatina e. eschscholtzii

War is Peace
Old 9th October 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aneides has started on the right path
Default Re: Albino Aneides lugubris? Or what?

Monterey Ensatinas from southern California are much paler than the ones in Monterey county.

Aneides

Old 10th October 2011   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The dead giveaway that it's an Ensatina, btw, is the round tail with a strong constriction near the base.

The subspecies can be identified by means of range maps in any decent field guide, unless you're very close to a range boundary. Because subspecies tend to overlap in characteristics and interbreed freely, geographic location is a better indicator in many cases of "correct" identification than any physical traits might be.

That said, ensatinas are actually a complex of species and the current subspecies identities don't tell an accurate story. There is often very little interbreeding, even between some nearby and apparently 'identical' populations, while some forms have managed some great feats of range expansion and occasional interbreeding with distant cousins. In your case, there is the possibility of pure large-blotched, pure yellow-blotched, or hybrids of these with each other or with Monterey ensatinas. Most likely you have a pure Monterey, as that's what's found in most of the San Bernardino Mountains.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I have found some on the west end of the SBs that were downright weird looking. They strangest aspect is how they lighten up at night. I have seen some posts from the SBs that claim that they are hybrid (E.e.e. x E.e.c.) or some pigment anomaly, I don't concur with either.

War is Peace
Old 11th March 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aneides has started on the right path

I found a eschscholtziii from the San Diego area that looked completely white! But up in the Monterey area they look reddish.

Aneides

Tags
albino, aneides, lugubris

LinkBack