The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Captive repro of Hemidactylium

This is a discussion on Captive repro of Hemidactylium within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Originally Posted by taherman Congratulations! I did set up a side by side trial with larvae in an established tank ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2008   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: coendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Captive repro of Hemidactylium

Quote:
Originally Posted by taherman View Post
Congratulations!

I did set up a side by side trial with larvae in an established tank with diverse microfauna, and another group getting just brine shrimp nauplii. The brine shrimp group grew much slower and eventually I moved them to other tank.

I'd suggest collecting some other microinvertebrates if possible to augment their diet.

Good luck!
-Tim
Thanks for the suggestion Tim. What techniques do you use to gather microfauna? I have a pond nearby full of daphnia.

coendeurloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008   #22 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: rigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have ten larvae growing well just keeping them in pond water, i do a 50% change every few days.

rigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008   #23 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I would just sweep the water with a fine meshed dip net made for tropical fish. Just be careful not to add any odonate (dragonfly/damselfly) larvae which are predaceous and may eat your Hemidactylium.

-Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: coendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Unfortunatly, larvae keep dying with water changes. In the future, I'll make sure I have a natural setup ready for them so water changes are kept to a minimum. I only have 2 larvae left now, so I've lost 15 in the course of regular waterchanges...bummer.

Old 15th August 2008   #25 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Coen,

Very sorry to hear that. If it helps, I used mostly reverse osmosis water for water changes, as water in their natural environment is often soft and acidic. Buffering the water with peat may help. I lost several larvae as well shortly after hatching, not exactly sure why. The metamorphs seem very robust and eager to feed. Good luck with your last two and hopefully better luck next year.
-Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taherman View Post
Coen,

Very sorry to hear that. If it helps, I used mostly reverse osmosis water for water changes, as water in their natural environment is often soft and acidic. Buffering the water with peat may help. I lost several larvae as well shortly after hatching, not exactly sure why. The metamorphs seem very robust and eager to feed. Good luck with your last two and hopefully better luck next year.
-Tim
Thanks for the tips Tim, I'm pretty sure next year will be much better as I've learned a lot from this surprise spawning....

Currently I'm doing some more research on the H. scutatum as I will be doing a reading about them on the annual dutch salamander society meeting...Pretty nervous about that.

Tags
captive, hemidactylium, repro

LinkBack