The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Thinking of a new setup.

This is a discussion on Thinking of a new setup. within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Lately, iīve been thinking my group of P.glutinosus might need a change of setup. The thing is, i now have ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2008   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Thinking of a new setup.

Lately, iīve been thinking my group of P.glutinosus might need a change of setup.
The thing is, i now have them in a woodland type of terrarium, they seem to really like it, but itīs sometimes quite complicated to find them and feed them. These little buggers love digging and itīs sometimes a mess. Feeding is specially complicated because i sometimes need to dig them up or disturb them in order to actually see them, so when i offer food, they are too stressed and ignore food. This doesnīt always happen of course, they actually look really nice and healthy, itīs more a matter of convenience.
So i was thinking about trying something more simplistic. Iīm not sure if for example a moist paper towel floor with some stocked rocks and pieces of bark would be suitable though.
Anyone keeping this species in a simple/quarantine type terrarium????
All comments will be apreciated :)

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Thinking of a new setup.

in terms of feeding iīt will be very much easier but in terms of decoration it becomes realy fake

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information

I had this problem every once and a while when I raised these guys in Georgia. They always dug into the dirt. The only way for me to make sure they were eating was to uncover the rocks,cork barks, or substrate they were under and drop a worm next to them. I think it would be a little stressful on them if they didn't have a good substrate to dig in. Mine usually came out from where they were hiding at night and wandered around their tank, so that is when I usually fed them.

Hope this helps
Cameron

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Thanx.
I realize the lack of substrate to dig in might stress them. Itīs just......itīs so messy xDD
As you said, mine also come out at night(specially if i just mist the tank), but sometimes one of them will remain invisible for over two weeks, and thatīs when i panic and start digging. However, i think the reason they sometimes seem to have disappeared is because they are simply not hungry. But you know...i worry a lot xD
In the Caudata Culture species sheet, it mentions people keeping them on kitchen paper, but i just wanted to know first hand if someone was doing it. It seems to me you are right though, and the possibility of digging is rather necessary (judging by the tunnels they make hehe).

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008   #5 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Food will probably wander into their burrows as well. I would say they are better off leaving them in a more natural setup.

Though slimy salamanders can be kept for many years on damp paper towels, you will never breed them that way, and you will be consistently stressing them with daily to weekly substrate changes. Ammonia levels are sky high after a day or two on paper towels with decomposing feces and uneaten food items.

Paper towels are a decent way to quarantine animals if you want to closely monitor their feeding and collect fecal samples, but in the long term it is extremely labor intensive and not the best thing for the animals (or trees) in my opinion. You could try damp pine bark nuggets with terra cotta dishes for hides, which is a reasonable compromise between the two methods. Tipping up a terra cotta dish is much easier and less destructive than excavating a burrow. You can peek in the opening with small flashlight too.

-Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
setup, setup., thinking

LinkBack