The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pseudoeurycea galeanae breeding

This is a discussion on Pseudoeurycea galeanae breeding within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Great salamanders, and great photos. Those things are breeding like rabbits down in San Antonio!...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2009   #21 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Pseudoeurycea galeanae breeding

Great salamanders, and great photos. Those things are breeding like rabbits down in San Antonio!

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009   #22 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Magnificent!

I will add here that use of the under gravel filter for the terrestrial set up is brilliant!

What a smart, easy way to control you substrate moisture content. (at least, that is what I am guessing it is for...)

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009   #23 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I didn't take any setup photos but it really is very simple, just like Sal described it. The containers are not very big either.

Old 23rd July 2009   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 6
Rep: SalSA has given good advice and informationSalSA has given good advice and informationSalSA has given good advice and information

Ok, the second clutch has begun to hatch. Several babies are out

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a picture of the tanks I keep them in.

Click the image to open in full size.

SalSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Congrats on the new batch! I hope the others from the first one are doing good. It is amazing how small those little guys are. Thanks for updating!

Mitch

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009   #26 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Well done Sal! Thanks for letting us see the continuation of the story :). Do you think these will be an exhibition animal at some point?

Old 2nd August 2011   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 6
Rep: SalSA has given good advice and informationSalSA has given good advice and informationSalSA has given good advice and information

While I don't work with these salamanders anymore (long story, nothing bad) I was able to get a picture of two of the surviving babies. They are now a little over an inch long and kind of look like Ambystomatids to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Pseudoeurycea galeanae breeding-p-galeanae.jpg  

SalSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011   #28 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

You put some paint on a couple of texanum! It was awesome seeing these in person. Thanks again Sal.

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011   #29 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Sorry to hear you aren't working with these anymore, I really enjoyed your pictures!!

ozarkhellbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011   #30 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Thanks for the update! They look EXTREMELY well fed...

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012   #31 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: methodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and information

I am sorry to dig up this very old thread, but what happened to the P. galeanae? A breeding success in Pseudoeurycea is somewhat rare and I hope this was repeated... any news? I would kill, or lets say, starve for being able to obtain some of their offspring or eggs.

Old 31st October 2012   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodik View Post
I am sorry to dig up this very old thread, but what happened to the P. galeanae? A breeding success in Pseudoeurycea is somewhat rare and I hope this was repeated... any news? I would kill, or lets say, starve for being able to obtain some of their offspring or eggs.
These animals where not being hold by a private but by some sor of corporation. And they are on the US. Its pointless for you to come ask for them here, odds are even lower when you start digging dead threads.

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012   #33 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: methodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and information

So it's not interesting if breeding succeeded with the other generations if they are hold by an institution? Probably got my hint wrong, the fact that I would love animals of this species didn't mean to say I wanted whoever is keeping them now to send me any - gotta wait for the day where I have my own zoo to talk about stuff like that.

Tags
breeding, galeanae, pseudoeurycea

LinkBack