The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pseudoeurycea belli

This is a discussion on Pseudoeurycea belli within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have seen Pseudoeurycea belli in books and think they are drop dead gorgeous. Are they ever available?...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kurt has given good advice and informationKurt has given good advice and informationKurt has given good advice and information
Default Pseudoeurycea belli

I have seen Pseudoeurycea belli in books and think they are drop dead gorgeous. Are they ever available?

Old 22nd May 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Pseudoeurycea belli

I don't think any of the Pseudoeurycea are ever available in the US. They are beautiful though.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Steve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Interesting species. I have been to the type locality, Rio Frio de Juarez, Puebla, Mexico many times ( the TL for this species is well published, so I believe it is OK to mention it here). Very high mountain meadow and pine woods, 3000m. This area is often shrouded in clouds and very moist. Beautifull countryside.

Steve Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kurt has given good advice and informationKurt has given good advice and informationKurt has given good advice and information

Yes they are beautiful. What is TL?

Old 22nd May 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Steve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Yes they are beautiful. What is TL?
In simple terms.

TL= Type Locality

Type Locality= geographic point/locality from which the Type specimen/s used to describe a species originated from.

Type specimen (usually the holotype)= an individual organism from which a species was described (named or create a taxon)

From there it gets rather complicated as you have holotypes, allotypes, paratypes, lectoypes, syntypes, neotypes, topotypes and several others

Old 22nd May 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

OK cool.

Old 23rd May 2009   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Thanks for the definitions, Steve. I moved a copy of your post to the Glossary Project part of the forum.

Old 23rd May 2009   #8 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

TL = Total Length. I've never seen anyone abbreviate Type Locality to TL before this thread.

Old 23rd May 2009   #9 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
TL = Total Length. I've never seen anyone abbreviate Type Locality to TL before this thread.
I'd have to agree with John on this one. TL goes along with SVL/SUL = snout-vent length/snout-urostyle length (in frogs).

Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Well, perhaps you haven't, however, here are some examples to help you out.

http://www.tils-ttr.org/ttr/ttr-2-3.pdf page 4

http://www.bio-nica.info/Biblioteca/...aeEudocima.pdf page 1

http://research.yale.edu/peabody/jls...181-Clench.pdf page 184

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lengenbach_Quarry

http://wcv.nhm-wien.ac.at/coleoptera...r2004/0411.pdf page 8

Or here, if you like formal definitions:
http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/...e_locality.htm

I can cite you some books too, such as, A Field Guide to the Butterflies, Alexander B Klotz,

or a more modern text, A Field Guide to the Western Butterflies, J.W. Tilden & Arthur C. Smith,

If you need more let me know.

BTH (By The Way) TL can also mean Total Length, among other things.

Old 23rd May 2009   #11 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Steve, I haven't looked at all of your examples but a quick glance tells me that none of those refer to salamanders. In salamander circles and peer reviewed publications TL means only one thing.

Old 23rd May 2009   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Steve, I haven't looked at all of your examples but a quick glance tells me that none of those refer to salamanders. In salamander circles and peer reviewed publications TL means only one thing.
Yeah and one comes from Yale! Boo! Harvard all the way! Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
belli, pseudoeurycea

LinkBack