The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Plethodon cinereus help!!!

This is a discussion on Plethodon cinereus help!!! within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; In august im going to buy one of these small salamanders and i need some tips on care thanks. :) ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2009   #1 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 11
Rep: axolotlgangster has started on the right path
Default Plethodon cinereus help!!!

In august im going to buy one of these small salamanders and i need some tips on care thanks. :)

Jose.

axolotlgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: stormcrow73 has shown reliable knowledgestormcrow73 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Plethodon cinereus help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axolotlgangster View Post
In august im going to buy one of these small salamanders and i need some tips on care thanks. :)

Jose.
They're a pretty easy species to keep. I've kept several in the past. They don't need tons of space but can be a bit territorial if you ever add to your collection. Insure you have plenty of hides of varying types for them including bark, wood and rocks. You don't need a soil substrate or plantings unless you want them for the visual effect. I always liked to provide mine things to climb on. Surprisingly enough, these guys will commonly climb to higher vantage points. The two main things are insuring you have a good solid food source and escape prevention. P. cinereus are escape artists for sure. They get through holes you'd never think they could. A tight fitting screen is good but can result in reduced humidity so you may find you need to cover portions of the screen with something solid. Drosophila melanogastor make great food sources and are pretty easy to culture. Definitely a cool little caudate!

stormcrow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

There is a specific caresheet on CC, and many many posts in this forum about this species. A quick search will solve most if not all your doubts.
Please try to make some research on your own first instead of expecting us to tell you everything...its been said dozens of times....
If after that you still have doubts that are not answered elsewhere, then will be happy to try and help you.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 11
Rep: axolotlgangster has started on the right path

I did read that i was wondering if thay need light for when thay hunt at night?

axolotlgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: stormcrow73 has shown reliable knowledgestormcrow73 has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by axolotlgangster View Post
I did read that i was wondering if thay need light for when thay hunt at night?
No, they need no special illumination for finding food. I'd feed them in the evening with the house lights low. They'll do fine.

stormcrow73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cinereus, plethodon

LinkBack