The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Largest slimy salamander?

This is a discussion on Largest slimy salamander? within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I was wondering what the largest recorded plethodon glutinosus was? I have seen rather large ones and was wanting to ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: sirus14 has given good advice and informationsirus14 has given good advice and information
Default Largest slimy salamander?

I was wondering what the largest recorded plethodon glutinosus was? I have seen rather large ones and was wanting to know if ive seen something special.
Thanks,
Taylor

sirus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Largest slimy salamander?

6.75 inches was the largest number I could find that was associated with this species. Kaysie has a picture of one somewhere that was compared to my hand and it was easily 7 inches.

Old 15th August 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information

Wow, that is small compared to what I have found in Georgia. I had a wild caught female that was 8 inches and a wild caught male that was 9.5 inches. They were the biggest salamanders I had ever seen until my mudpuppy reached the size it is now. I don't have a picture of the male, but I do have a picture of the female.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
The beetle grub in this picture that she was about to eat was 2 inches in legnth. The tail was half the legnth of the salamander.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have only ever found 2 slimy salamanders and they were very small compared to that one. only about 3 inches long. I never realized they got that big. Nice animal

Coastal Groovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I've caught a few a bit longer than my hand, so about 7.5-8". They seem to get bigger in highland areas. 9.5" is huge! Too bad you don't have any pics of that male, Slimy2. I'm imagining him looking something like the P. yonahlossee at the Tennessee Aquarium, which looks like a salamander skin stretched over a hot dog.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009   #6 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Cameron you must have hands the size of small cities if that pictured salamander is 8 inches long.

Old 16th August 2009   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Cameron you must have hands the size of small cities if that pictured salamander is 8 inches long.
Well my hands aren't huge, but after having measured that salamander over the course of a year it stayed 8 inches long.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Nshepard is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe its a matter of what you are measuring. Snout-vent length or Total length. The record size of ~5" is the SVL measurement, whereas your ~9" record is probably a TL measurement.

Nshepard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
largest, salamander, slimy

LinkBack