The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Aneides species ID question

This is a discussion on Aneides species ID question within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I recently moved not far from my old apartment to a nice cottage in Menlo Park, CA with a nice ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2010   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Aneides species ID question

I recently moved not far from my old apartment to a nice cottage in Menlo Park, CA with a nice garden. This weekend I flipped a few stones in the garden and found two Aneides. The were both juveniles and mostly black. Although, when look at the photos that I took of the lighter-colored salamander, it has some reds on the side. However, my current camera also tends to falsely emphasize reds my images.

They were darker than any lugubris that I've ever seen so far. However, I don't think I'm far enough south to be in the Santa Cruz flavipunctatus region. Possibly, I'm in the northern most extreme of its region.

So I was looking for any Aneides expert (Russ...) to give me an opinion as to what they are. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides species ID question-dscn3600.jpg   Aneides species ID question-dscn3604.jpg   Aneides species ID question-dscn3606.jpg  

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: VirgiChris has shown reliable knowledgeVirgiChris has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Aneides species ID question

Aneides ferreus ?

VirgiChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jaster has started on the right path

I would say it is A. lugubris.

-Bradley
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Too far north. I'm south of San Francisco and north of Santa Cruz.

Old 2nd March 2010   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

You are within range of niger, and the head shape in the second pic is niger/flavish, but I'm going to go with lugubris based of the color and speckling. Are all three pics the same animal?

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

All three of the original photos are of the same animal. The other guy was a little smaller and more fussy for photographing. Attached is the only photo I got that is worth showing.... Perhaps, I'll have to do some more searching and see if I can find an adult.

Thanks for the opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides species ID question-dscn3607.jpg  

Old 12th December 2010   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Default Update

Since initially posted it got too dry and I never saw any more caudates in the garden. However, it's been quite cool and wet lately, so I grabbed my camera, flipped a few pots, stones, and tacky lawn ornament and started taking pictures. It turns out that the yard is a salamander haven. I found about 11 adult Aneides and too many Batrachoseps to count with little effort. I'm guessing that it's lugubris, but they're a bit smaller and darker from the lugubris that I used to catch around Berkeley. Whatever, it was a fun afternoon realizing my cottage is guarded by an army of caudates. I tried not to disturb them too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides species ID question-pc115760.jpg   Aneides species ID question-pc115762.jpg   Aneides species ID question-pc115763.jpg   Aneides species ID question-pc115768.jpg   Aneides species ID question-pc115771.jpg  

Aneides species ID question-pc115776.jpg   Aneides species ID question-pc115784.jpg   Aneides species ID question-pc115785.jpg  

Old 12th December 2010   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yes, they're lugubris. I think I've crossed the line between envy and jealousy, LOL! That's beats keeping them in shoe-boxes any day.

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

definitely Aneides lugubris, they live in the woodpiles in our garden as well.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: supergrappler has shown reliable knowledge

Gorgeous! Nice to see our native species thrive this way!

supergrappler is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack