The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Requesting breeding information

This is a discussion on Requesting breeding information within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have 2 Plethodon chlorobryonis. 0.0.2 I believe one is of sexual maturity because of its size. While cleaning the ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: misslyss has given good advice and informationmisslyss has given good advice and informationmisslyss has given good advice and information
Default Requesting breeding information

I have 2 Plethodon chlorobryonis. 0.0.2 I believe one is of sexual maturity because of its size. While cleaning the set up the larger of the two was doing weird tail and torso movements. It looked like it was grabbing on to the dirt. Before the smaller of the two ran away they seemed to be entwined, but I could be wrong. I checked the dirt of the area where the larger was shifting from left to right but there wasn't anything there. I got a video but I can't figure out how to post it.

Is this normal breeding behavior? I looked up the article on breeding slimys but didn't see anything about this. If anyone has any information that will help it would be appreciated!

Old 8th July 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 11
Rep: Ltdanicecream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Requesting breeding information

Although I know nothing about this species, sounds like definate breeding behaviour! Congrats! But the little one may not be sexually mature so it MAY be best to seperate them. Just gonna throw that out there. But breeding behaviour means theyre happy so congrats!

Ltdanicecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010   #3 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

The video in this thread I made a while back shows spermatophore transfer between Plethodon shermani, and while it's a pretty species specific dance, maybe there are similarities? Regardless, it's cool to watch, and might help.

Plethodon shermani spermatophore transfer

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Mac Myers has given good advice and informationMac Myers has given good advice and information

No help here for Alyssa .... but what an AWESOME video. Pretty rare stuff that.

LinkBack