The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What's in my sal's belly? (P. Cinereus)

This is a discussion on What's in my sal's belly? (P. Cinereus) within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi, A few weeks ago I noticed that one of my P. cinereus seems to have developed something white-coloured under ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2010   #1 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 13
Comments: 0
Rep: firedreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and information
Default What's in my sal's belly? (P. Cinereus)

Hi,

A few weeks ago I noticed that one of my P. cinereus seems to have developed something white-coloured under his/her skin on the abdomen. I was able to get a picture of the sal's belly last night and was wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
What's in my sal's belly? (P. Cinereus)-38176_718743725019_36815130_42211885_6973910_n.jpg  

Last edited by Azhael; 18th July 2010 at 15:54.
firedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: What's in my sal's belly? (P. Cinereus)

Most likely eggs. Plethodontids are known for developing eggs but never laying them, so best of lucks, i hope yours do!!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: firedreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and information

Neat! I had hoped they were eggs!

Is there anything I can do to encourage laying?

Old 18th July 2010   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Just provide excellent conditions and hope for the best.
There are a few threads about plethodontids which end up not laying the eggs. You might want to do a search for them and see if there´s something to learn from them. I can´t really help you...i only have two plethodontids and i´m not even sure of the sex...¬¬

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 19th July 2010   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Actually, P. cinereus do breed in captivity with not too much difficulty. In case you haven't read this:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Plethodon cinereus & serratus
As Azhael says, all you can do is aim for excellent conditions - plenty of space, hiding places, and ample feeding.

Old 19th July 2010   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

For all the people who keep them, i don´t think it can be said that they are bred frequently. Still, for a plethodontid, they are the easy ones.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 26th July 2010   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Over the last week in particular I noticed that the female was putting on a lot of weight in general. As of 2 days ago she has stopped emerging from her burrow at night to feed, and the male - who routinely spend days in the burrow with her in the past - is now spending his days in a different hiding spot. I'm hoping this means that the female has decided to lay the eggs, although I'm also a bit paranoid that something might have happened to her. I'm afraid to check in on her because her burrow is hard to access and I don't want to disturb her if she has laid the eggs. Is this the best course of action? Is this behaviour consistent with egg-laying behaviour?

LinkBack