The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sudden loss

This is a discussion on Sudden loss within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Damn...i lost one of my two P.glutinosus. I hadnīt seen one for two week or so, and since the last ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2010   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Sudden loss

Damn...i lost one of my two P.glutinosus. I hadnīt seen one for two week or so, and since the last time i had seen it it had looked a bit thinner than usual, i decided to tear the tank apart to find it. A few rocks removed and i did find it....decomposing. By the looks of it it had died 2-3 days ago.
Nothing has changed in the tank for a long time and they have been doing very well even during the summer. Other than having lost some weight in the more recent weeks (which i had assumed was because since they rarely come out and i like to feed them with tweezers, it had missed a couple of feedings) it looked perfectly ok.
It was a LTC that was already adult when first imported (itīs had three or four owners i think), so i suposse it could have been old age. The colors were certainly very faded and dull when compared to my other P.glutinosus which is a young adult.
Anyway....now i only have one so there goes my chance at breeding them
I might give the remaining one away to someone who already has a group with an intention to breed them (since finding CB ones would be mighty difficult).

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 5th October 2010   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: zoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Sudden loss

Sorry to hear of your sad loss. What a shame

Last edited by Azhael; 5th October 2010 at 13:36.
Old 5th October 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: End has shown reliable knowledgeEnd has shown reliable knowledge

Sorry for your lost ,
I acquired 3 adults P.Glutinosus 8 months ago , they have always eat and doing just fine but 3 months ago i lost one for apparently no reason , he/she was the best eater of the group, maybe for the old age or maybe for the hot summer we got here.

Last edited by Azhael; 5th October 2010 at 13:36.
Old 14th October 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: josh1990 has shown reliable knowledgejosh1990 has shown reliable knowledge

I am very sorry to hear of your loss, I think all of us here know how hard it is, esp. if you were planning to breed them. I have three myself and they are wonderful animals. Mine are all males but I would like to collect a female or two to try and breed them. If I have any luck with them I will keep you in mind.
I would like to ask you a few questions if you don`t mind.

1. What was their setup like?
2.What was their diet?
3.Would the deceased animal accept prey from tweezers?
4. What was the temps. like?

Best regards,
Josh

Old 16th October 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: anothernewtfan has started on the right path

I have read a lot of your posts Azhael, and your passion for newt keeping is obvious. I am sorry to hear you lost a salamander.

Old 16th October 2010   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Josh, the set-up was 5-6cm of soil, a pile of fat rocks in a corner creating lots of hiding spaces, and the rest was covered with bark hidings and leaf litter with a couple of twigs laying around.
They ate crickets, earthworms, waxworms and isopods. The young adult will also accept bloodworms from time to time.
They both ate well from the tweezers, in fact the young one sometimes ignores food if itīs not offered with tweezers. The temps went from 8šC to 26šC, although in the deeper crevices of the rock pile, temps never got higher than 22-23šC (and only during the day).

Thank you all for the kind words, by the way.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 25th October 2010   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: josh1990 has shown reliable knowledgejosh1990 has shown reliable knowledge

Your set-up and diet are perfect for them, I just don`t know what went wrong there.
You were/are doing everything right, maybe it was just his time to go.
Again I am very sorry for your loss, I just lost one of my Wehrles salamanders; it was very sadding because I had a pair and like you I was wanting to breed them. I found it had gone missing only the next day to find its desicated body in the corner of my herptile room.

Old 14th March 2011   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: axolotlfriend is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry bro. i know how it feels. best of luck with your remaining sal.

Old 15th March 2011   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

aw shucks - godspeed little slimy....

he just might have been old. They gotta go sometime.

LinkBack