The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pseudotriton ruber breeding success!

This is a discussion on Pseudotriton ruber breeding success! within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Incredible! I have been waiting along time to see another captive breeding of these. Tim, thanks for the tips about ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2013   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aneides has started on the right path
Default Re: Pseudotriton ruber breeding success!

Incredible! I have been waiting along time to see another captive breeding of these. Tim, thanks for the tips about these guys. I was (and still might be) interested in them, but I then heard about their ideal temp range, which would be hard to contantly maintain. It is just inspiring seeing how many plethodontids are being captive bred. I mean, look ten years back, extremely few people had even kept any plethodontids. Look how far we have come now, captive breeding of these wonderful animals. Unbelievable.

Aneides

Old 26th August 2013   #22 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

When I have time I'll look trough the tank carefully. I'd like to have a good size group of F2's.

Old 29th October 2013   #23 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Noticed that underneath this rock had been cleared out. Sand was pushed out and I saw a tail slowly waving about. Then I saw the egg and freaked.
Attached Thumbnails
Pseudotriton ruber breeding success!-image.jpg  

Old 29th October 2013   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

im happy for you :) how hard is it to breed them??

velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013   #25 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

There's a nest full of them now. Female guarding it well.
Attached Thumbnails
Pseudotriton ruber breeding success!-image.jpg  

Old 30th October 2013   #26 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Congrats again! Tis the season. They laid early at the zoo this year too...no idea why. Other oviposition events were in late Nov and Dec, this year late Oct.

I'd strongly suggest separating a few from the female into deli cups. Aquatic species do not seem to be so dependent on maternal bacteria for egg defense, so separating them may go a long way to getting your desired larvae this year.

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013   #27 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taherman View Post
Congrats again! Tis the season. They laid early at the zoo this year too...no idea why. Other oviposition events were in late Nov and Dec, this year late Oct.

I'd strongly suggest separating a few from the female into deli cups. Aquatic species do not seem to be so dependent on maternal bacteria for egg defense, so separating them may go a long way to getting your desired larvae this year.
Gotcha I'll separate a few. But I'd hate to disturb the nest fearing she will flee and won't return to the nest. I may try to use forceps to grab a few and harvest them.

Old 30th October 2013   #28 (permalink)

Nationality:

question...were yours captive breed or wild caught? I saw some for sale online a while ago but im sure they were WC..just curious as to how difficult it was to keep them

Old 30th October 2013   #29 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by velasco13000 View Post
question...were yours captive breed or wild caught? I saw some for sale online a while ago but im sure they were WC..just curious as to how difficult it was to keep them
Mine are a WC group that I've had for years now. Actually I may have had these guys for 2 years before they bred. Housing isn't difficult but breeding I would say is difficult. Setup and cycling plays a big part in getting them into the breeding mood.

Old 31st October 2013   #30 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Ok got some better photos to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Pseudotriton ruber breeding success!-img_7038.jpg   Pseudotriton ruber breeding success!-img_6999.jpg   Pseudotriton ruber breeding success!-img_6886.jpg  

Old 31st October 2013   #31 (permalink)

Nationality:

I see that the mother guards them...when the eggs hatch will she eat the larvae??

Old 31st October 2013   #32 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by velasco13000 View Post
I see that the mother guards them...when the eggs hatch will she eat the larvae??
Paternal canibalism does happen. It happens in captivity and in the wild. The reason why some females eat their eggs or offspring is because during the time they guard their nest they aren't concerned with eating. So during the whole time a mother watches and tail fans her eggs (for air circulation) she will not eat.

So previous to breeding if a mother hasn't eaten well she may eat her eggs or young. I feed my salamanders often so I doubt she will eat her eggs

Old 1st November 2013   #33 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Thumbs up Re: Pseudotriton ruber breeding success!

WOW! great photos and congrats!!! I hope they turn out good. Keep us posted on the development. -Seth

sde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014   #34 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Turns out the female ate her own nest maybe due to the fact that another ruber was crawling around her nest. The good news is I did get a video of her gaurding her nest.

Old 9th March 2014   #35 (permalink)
Ted
(Ted)

Nationality:
Rep: Ted has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neotenic_Jaymes View Post
Instead of starting a new thread I'll just add this topic here since its so similar. My Pseudotriton ruber nitidus is laying her batch of eggs as well. She's a familiar face on Caudata. She actually started laying yesterday and I spent most of last night watching her. Took some photos and a short video. Please check it out.

Its hard to distinguish her apart from a P. ruber and to identify her as a Pseudotriton r. nitidus. The video and pics do no justice for identification. Her eggs don't hang from the rocks they stick to it. P. ruber eggs hang from a from the ceiling of the rocks in little sacs and move around with water motion. P. r. nitidus eggs just stick to where ever they are laid.

I find this just incredible,,this is one of my most favorite animals..I'm glad to see I'm on the right track as my setups and feeding are pretty much just like yours ..I have some rocks in them but use just a bare glass bottom..

Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014   #36 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I find this just incredible,,this is one of my most favorite animals..I'm glad to see I'm on the right track as my setups and feeding are pretty much just like yours ..I have some rocks in them but use just a bare glass bottom..
I hope people can breed P. ruber and raise some up constantly. If you really want to try to breed them make sure you cool them in winter. I mean seriously my female laid when the temps were about 38f-45f, this could vary depending on the locale of your P. ruber. Another thing is try not to disturb the nest or let any other tank mate disturb the nest. Best to remove other tank mates not gaurding eggs.

Good luck

Old 11th March 2014   #37 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: Herphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and information

still hoping my pair will do something, havent seen any courtship since november. If they end up breeding though I'll have to seperate the spring salamanders and seperate the stud male ruber to lol. the way my tank is i'd have to take everything out just to check for eggs.

Herphunter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014   #38 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herphunter1998 View Post
still hoping my pair will do something, havent seen any courtship since november. If they end up breeding though I'll have to seperate the spring salamanders and seperate the stud male ruber to lol. the way my tank is i'd have to take everything out just to check for eggs.
Best to redo it now before they will court agian. I had a crazy set up last year that's why I didn't even know they've been breeding till I saw babies. Obviously I changed their setup and made it so I can atleast see nests if females lay.

Old 17th May 2014   #39 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dendro Dave has started on the right path

I'm easier to find on dendroboard, (same name) but if anyone having success is eventually ready to let some of these go PM me here, or DB, or DmarksVR@yahoo.com. I can meet their needs have experience with several newt/sally species, (and frogs of course)

Great work guys!

Dendro Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014   #40 (permalink)

Nationality:

I'm getting a big group of ltc adults. Any suggestions or tips on keeping these guys?

LinkBack