The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Various Plethodontids

This is a discussion on Various Plethodontids within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Thes are all the species of salamanders I have found in the wild. They are all members of the family ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Zach42 has shown reliable knowledgeZach42 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Various Plethodontids

Thes are all the species of salamanders I have found in the wild. They are all members of the family Plethodontidae. They are, from left to right, Eastern Redback Salamander Plethodon cinereus, Longtailed Salamander Eurycea longicauda longicauda, Northern Slimy Salamander Plethodon glutinosus, Southern Redback Salamander Plethodon serratus, and last but not least is the Southern two Lined Salamander Eurycea cirrigera. I am hoping this will be a productive year for salamanders, so far it has been, with the longtail and the Southern Redback being added this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Various Plethodontids-eastern-redback-salamander.jpg   Various Plethodontids-longtail-salamander.jpg   Various Plethodontids-slimy-salamander.jpg   Various Plethodontids-southern-redback-salamander.jpg   Various Plethodontids-southern-two-lined-salamander.jpg  

Zach42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Various Plethodontids

Lovely photos, thanks for sharing. Any pictures of habitat?

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks, unfortuneatly I don't have any of salamander habitat. I didn't really start taking habitat shots til this year and I often forget. I do have this one, which is in an area full of Soutern Leopard frogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Various Plethodontids-southern-leopard-frog.jpg   Various Plethodontids-habitat.jpg  

Old 17th May 2011   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Thanks for sharing the pics. I love last picture, superb. Also last habitat shot looks so neat. Such a pond in the woods filled with plants like that what a heaven for amphibians. Was there any sal specie besides the sth leopard frogs?
cheers,

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you, that pic is actually one small part of the habitat, It's a low lying marshy woodland with lots small ponds and swampy areas. I've never found a salamander there, but I Imagine they are some Ambystoma in the spring. I've only been there once this year due to all the rain we've gotten it has been unaccesable since late March. I have found green frogs, bullfrogs, wood frogs, western chorus frogs, Northern Cricket frogs, garter snakes and brown snakes there. I have also heard and seen the larvae of spring peepers and Cope's Gray treefrogs. So yea, pretty good spot.

Old 17th May 2011   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

So it seems! In witch part of the US do that and similar ponds exist? Is that a vernal pool or something connected to a stream/spring?

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

This is in Southern Indiana. It's a nature preserve in a low lying area way out in the country. Along the trail there are lots of small puddles and areas that usually pretty much have water all year. Then there are bigger deeper ponds, there are creeks that sometimes flow into them but they are very slow moving so it seems like one big continuous pond. Basically a huge swamp. Then there is a prarie type area with tall grass and small ponds here and there.All this combined makes perfect habitat for many species of frogs, snakes, ect. I really hope we don't get any more rain so I can go there this weekend. If I do I should get some more habitat shots.

LinkBack