The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?

This is a discussion on Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata? within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I recently picked up two three lines, about 5-6 inches each. Not sure on their sex but I plan on ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jake Hutton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jake Hutton has shown reliable knowledge
Default Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?

I recently picked up two three lines, about 5-6 inches each. Not sure on their sex but I plan on picking up two more and attempting to breed them. I have them in my basement in a 10 gallon? Rubbermaid (with a tight lid) they have multiple rocks for hiding and coverage with water (60-65 F) about 5 inches deep. I am interested how other people keep them and if you have had any success in breeding them.

Jake Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?

I just took some photos of the salamanders and the current setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?-csc_2058.jpg   Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?-dsc_2053.jpg   Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?-dsc_2052.jpg   Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?-csc_2057.jpg   Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?-csc_2054.jpg  

Old 14th June 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here is a picture of the new setup
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?-b4d9afcb-53a0-42a2-b11e-739c.jpg  

Old 24th February 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Vort is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Hutton View Post
Here is a picture of the new setup
I like that setup. You find the moss on the rocks like that or what?
Where'd you find those animals, by the way?
What do you feed them?

Vort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Jake, are these white points, on one of the pictures, eggs?

Old 24th February 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information

E. guttolineata can often be found in the same streams as E. cirrigera, at least in Mississippi they can. So it may be worthwhile to look at breeding set ups for E. cirrigera and work from there. I've seen multiple E. cirrigera set ups on this site, and they tend to have running water with stacks of rocks and or slate. The E. cirrigera will oviposit on the lower surface of rocks that are submerged in the water. You may want to prop a few pieces up so that they can get under them to do that. Moss is always a good addition.

We don't have much rock in streams in my part of the state, so breeding habitat looks pretty different. Females will apparently oviposit beneath driftwood, or beneath low hanging moss or in leaf litter in the creek. E. guttolineata are also found in association with lentic water (swampy ponds).

Oh, and sexing Eurycea is relatively easy during the breeding season (which comes to a close in March or April in my region). Males will have cirri, which are fleshy projections that grow down from their nostrils and overhang their lower jaws. If you see those, you know it's male. However, sometimes these are not very long or prominent, depending on how much testosterone is going through the animal at the time. Fortunately, males also grow enlarged premaxillary teeth (teeth on the upper jaw at the very front), which you can usually feel if you gently rub your finger against the lower tip of their snout. It will feel like sandpaper. They'll also have a small mental gland (portion of slightly raised, slightly lighter skin at the apex of their lower jaw), which you can sometimes see. In the field, I generally rely on cirri and or premaxillary teeth. Below I've linked a diagram in which you can see the approximate position of the gland and their teeth. The drawing on top depicts the premaxillary teeth growing through the lower jaw.

http://people.oregonstate.edu/~arnoldst/eurycea.jpg

Last edited by Lamb; 24th February 2012 at 21:06. Reason: Added info on sexing.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahilles View Post
Jake, are these white points, on one of the pictures, eggs?
I'm not seeing eggs int he pictures, those white points may just be reflections of the light.

Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: erwin has started on the right path

I had a small breeding succes with them in the past. The tank was 28 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches. I had much more land than water and the water depth was about 2 inches. I also had a pump with the outlet at the top of a pile of stones.

Succes with them, very nice animals!

erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Sorry, I havent been on here in awhile. There arent any eggs in the picture its just the glare from the container. Anyhow, I have a new setup for my 3.4 collection. I have a pump constantly keeping the water moving and flowing down to a small pond area on one side. The setup is about 25% water. I am feeding crickets once a week and all the salamanders seem to be healthy. Breeding season is just about here and hopefully I will get some eggs out of my females. I am beginning to adjust the photoperiod to induce breeding. I will keep everyone updated and I will also post some pictures of the new setup soon.

Old 5th October 2012   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here are a few pictures of the current setup, I looked again but haven't seen any eggs. Sorry for the poor quality I took them with my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?-photo.jpg   Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?-photo-3-.jpg   Best way to keep Eurycea guttolineata?-photo-2-.jpg  

Old 6th October 2012   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Jake I would add small shopped earthworm chunks to their diet to get them into breeding condition. A diet of just crickets probably won't do it. Do you ever see them hunting in the water or do they seem to stay on land more?

Old 7th October 2012   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jaster has started on the right path

That setup looks awesome! I would live in that

-Bradley
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack