The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Succesful Breeding of Green Salamanders

This is a discussion on Succesful Breeding of Green Salamanders within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; You may be able to recall a thread I posted awhile back on a herping trip where i found plnty ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sirus14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: sirus14 has given good advice and informationsirus14 has given good advice and information
Default Succesful Breeding of Green Salamanders

You may be able to recall a thread I posted awhile back on a herping trip where i found plnty of green salamanders. On that trip i brought back a green that over time I determined to be a female. A year later I went back to the same area and climbed a different mountain to a new spot i saw with some binoculars. on the peak was a cluster of sandstone boulders and I ended up finding plenty more greens. From this spot I brought back a nice large male. The two have lived together in a 10 gallon i set up with sandstone, dirt,and plants from te area ifound them in. I also taped up the back with black electrical tape to keep light from getting into the aquarium from behind the rock. this setup proved to work. I planned on trying to breed them eventually but im guessing because they were next to a window they had just enough "cycling" to give me a happy accident.

heres a picture of their set up
Click the image to open in full size.

here is the Male

here is the female, you can barely see the eggs on the far left

here is the eggs that I can see with the camera

This is the boulder the female came out of. I also saw about 14 more in this rock

Please comment with advice and critique. Im going to let the female take over guarding the eggs.

Thanks,
Taylor Pfanstiel

sirus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: sirus14 has given good advice and informationsirus14 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Succesful Breeding of Green Salamanders

Side note

These salamanders were all legally collected on a privately owned property in Kentucky. Kentucky's laws allow me to keep up to five as we have no special protection for these species.

Old 18th July 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Viv is an unknown quantity at this point

Your soooo lucky! In Maryland we can't collect any or own any Congrats on the breeding!

Viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Very cool and congrats. Try not to disturb her too much and but keep us posted. It's nice to finally see some additional success with these.

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

How cool
Well don!! Keep us posted
Cheers,

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011   #6 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Very cool! Keep us updated on their development.

I just lost my second clutch of A. aeneus eggs this week

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hopefully next year i will be able to try again. The female ate all of the eggs.

Old 21st August 2011   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirus14 View Post
Hopefully next year i will be able to try again. The female ate all of the eggs.
MAN THAT SUCKS! I would have liked to see more. Maybe next year.

LinkBack