The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Mesterious death?

This is a discussion on Mesterious death? within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; So I went today check my Plethodontid woodland set-up ( 40x25x25 cm ) and I find my only adult P. ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2011   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Mesterious death?

So I went today check my Plethodontid woodland set-up ( 40x25x25 cm ) and I find my only adult P. cinereus in this shape... Whit no odours or anything else. Actually its pretty intact.
Really sadness me to see my very first Plethodontid I got in the beginning of the year to die this soon and worst of all I don't have the tinniest clue why did it die...
So I'll leave here some macros and crops I did to the poor little corpse in the hope someone helps me finding a cause for it.

I've been keeping separately 3 Pleth. cylindraceus juveniles and 1 aberrant juvenile morph of Pleth. cinereus that came along with the P. cylindraceus from pet trade. This group of 4 have been together for a few months and now, about a week or two, I've put the 3 P.cylindraceus juvies and P. cinereus aberrant juvie with the adult Pleth cinereus.
I really doubt the juveniles could kill it. Still I have no other explainable idea of what might happen. I really hope someone can help me out with a plausible explanation.

Thank you all forum,
Jorge

Pictures:
Click the image to open in full size.

A Tribute to my beloved salamander:

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Mesterious death?

Eaten carnivorous insects would do this. Do u have tank supplies from the wild?

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

ah shucks, that sucks - so sorry and my best sympathies...

I have no idea either. It looks as though he secreted huge amounts of slime from - I don't know, his parotid glands? I don't know what would trigger this other than some strong reaction to something he came in contact with - a foreign substance? One of the juvies? Very mysterious indeed.

also, it might be worth cutting him open to see if something is stuck in his throat. He might have eaten something that didn't go down - something about his posture suggests choking to me...

Last edited by Molch; 2nd September 2011 at 02:34.
Molch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Blueflip2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats grusome,im so sorry.It was definately insects because you can tell by the little nibbles and bites.

Blueflip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Some insects have definitely been munching on that thing!

Old 2nd September 2011   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Thank you all for the help and sympathies...
After remove every little thing and turn the set-up into a mess I was able to found a huge caterpillar no idea if from moth or butterfly... Damn that bug...
At least, mystery solved.
Cheers,

Old 2nd September 2011   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

moth or butterfly caterpillars don't eat newts though - they are herbivores. I'm not so sure that was it...

Old 2nd September 2011   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: suztor has shown reliable knowledgesuztor has shown reliable knowledge

Caterpillar could have been poisonous... And he tried to bite it. Then he got munched on after the fact.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Old 2nd September 2011   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: rethgar has shown reliable knowledge

Do you have a picture or description of the insect? Some larvae of butterflies are pretty toxic. Even by amphibian standards

rethgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tonymontanaflows has started on the right path

very weird. i'd assume some fungus or bacteria?
i've encounered escaped newts that have become petrified with minor skin damage but major loss of moisture and mass.
I've also "fed" my ispod cultures deceased salamanders. they make quick work of a body and it never remains intact with bones making journies from burial site.

Old 2nd September 2011   #11 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Jeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and information

Yes i allso think it was the caterpillar. You can see the byte shapes on the sides. Just the way they do it allso to leaves. Allso for example, you would say bean beatles would not bite newts.. well i have seen them bite my marmoratus juvs.. they were all over them.. Maby some particular insects like particular thinks about particular newts.

Did you make any picture of that bastard Jorge? i would love to see that criminal.

Jeroen Spobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:

Jeroen; I grabed my heavier sneakers put him on the floor and in ALL CAP RAGE smashed that thing.. There was nothing left besides green / red viscous fluids...
I do also think it was it... The flesh was purely eaten. there is no rotting smells of bacteria and/or fungus. The markings are explicit now..
I actually found a similar caterpillar a few minutes later on a outdoor setup witch i took on a swim in a Isopropyl alcohol 'pool' ^^

regards,

Old 2nd September 2011   #13 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I hate caterpillars. Last year they destroyed my entire hedge (beech). I like butterflies though.....

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011   #14 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Jeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and information

I feel bad for you Jorge. I hope that was the last one you found.

Jeroen Spobeck is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack