The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Help with Desmognathus eggs

This is a discussion on Help with Desmognathus eggs within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; UPDATE: The larvae are about 2 weeks old now and all are still doing fine. No casualties. I have brine ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2011   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: heavysleaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with Desmognathus eggs

UPDATE: The larvae are about 2 weeks old now and all are still doing fine. No casualties. I have brine shrimp and microworm cultures for them when they lose their yolk sac.

I am still trying to identify their mother. Any ideas? I put a red worm in the feeding enclosure to help you guys get an idea of size. Needless to say I retrieved the worm and chopped it and she gobbled it all up shortly after this photo taken. Less than 3 inches from head to tip of tail.

Click the image to open in full size.

heavysleaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011   #22 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Is there a possibility that this sal could be Desmognathus orestes? I don't know about their range, i'm basing only on the colouration, which, i know, might be an uncertain characteristic.

Old 30th September 2011   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:

For those interested. Jim Petranka has identified this female as a member of the Dusky Mountain complex. Most likely a hybrid of D. ocoee and D. carolinensis based on location, etc. Thanks Tim for hooking me up with Mr. Petranka. He's been a great help. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

Old 30th September 2011   #24 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Cool, glad to help. I figured he would know best, especially given the location.

Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quick update. All these guys are doing great. The larvae are still going strong, only one loss which I have contributed to a water change taking its toll. These guys are growing ever so slowly. They are 3 months old and are barely an inch. Will update with pics soon.

LinkBack