The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Southern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea cirrigera)

This is a discussion on Southern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea cirrigera) within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have had a Southern Two-lined Salamander ( Eurycea cirrigera ) for about a year now. From what I understand ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Myeager15y

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Myeager15y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Southern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea cirrigera)

I have had a Southern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea cirrigera) for about a year now. From what I understand I have a female wc and at first new nothing about this salamander.

So far I have observed that it enjoys being close to moving water. They are real good swimmers and pose almost no risk for drowning. Or at least this one doesnt seem to mind water. Granted it really only goes into the water to hunt and to mate I understand.

They are mainly terestrial, nocturnal, they climb really well, and will only eat live food. (small prey crickets, isopods, blackworms) They only swim occassional, and when they do they can catch your smaller tropical fish (non-agressive type) and will eat snails and any baby fish.

Normaly behavior I would say consists of hiding durring the day and hunting at night. This one loves to get into the places in the tank that are hard to get to. They are fast and will hide as soon as the light comes on.

If anyone has experience or know any further info on this species let me know please.

Last edited by Kaysie; 21st September 2011 at 01:10. Reason: Advertisements go in the appropriate section
Myeager15y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011   #2 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: firesalamander has started on the right path
Default Re: Southern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea cirrigera)

Hey, I've looked into this species and will say these are some marvelous observations. If you want further info you might be able to find a care sheet on caudata culture.

Albert Einstein
firesalamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for pointing me in that dirrection it was some what helpful. The first time I looked there I must have typed something wrong because it didnt pull anything up. Happens often, get in a hurry and type something wrong or not type part of a thought.

I knew most of what is published there from other sources and personaly observation. I hope that the info on breeding was somewhat accurate.

I would really like to breed these how ever I still must find a male from this area prefferablly. I would really like to find one before winter sets in so I can get it used to captivity and attempt to cycle it with the female for next years breeding season.

Does anyone know what size tank would be ideal for breeding these?

Old 3rd October 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

I am trying to get a pic of her but she is really shy so it might take a while. I dont harrass my animals by touching them unless it is unavoidable. Got to leave the camera by the tank cause a soon as she sees you shes gone.

Old 5th October 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

here she is
Attached Thumbnails
Southern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea cirrigera)-100_0177.jpg  

Old 17th March 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aneides has started on the right path

What is that other newt in the background?

Aneides

Last edited by Jacquie; 17th March 2012 at 07:22.
Aneides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Looks like a terrestrial Hypselotriton orientalis.
How long have you had the newt? It really should be fully aquatic...your enclosure may be inapropriate for this species. You should really reconsider and separate the two species. Its never a good idea to mix, specially WC animals from such different origins.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and informationJefferson has given consistently excellent advice and information

From what I've obseved in Southern Ohio and Southwest Virginia, I'd say you're right about S2L(two-lined)s not liking the water. In S. Ohio, I noticed that they were much less common in streams in springheads than Northern Two-Lineds, and seemed content to dwell on gorge sides under rocks on land. In Southern Virginia, the only one I saw in the Mount Rogers Natl' rec area was 2 or 3 meters from the stream crawling about in a thicket. That one could have also been a Blue Ridge 2L. However, in parts of S. Ohio where snakes were present, they clustered up around springhouses.

Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jaster has started on the right path

I have also found two lines (E. wilderae) over 100m from the nearest flowing water and well up hillsides. Then again, I also find adults at the bottom of streams. I guess they love it all. To breed, I think a set up with nice water and a lot of moist cover on land would be best. Not sure how the temp cycles are with them, but it could never hurt. I can find them year round in streams here. Good luck!

-Bradley
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Risigan is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience it depends on the salamander. The ones I find on land prefer to remain terrestrial while the ones found in water prefer to remain aquatic. I have noticed that the aquatic ones tend to be larger than the terrestrial ones.

Risigan is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack