The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

E.lucifuga breeding...

This is a discussion on E.lucifuga breeding... within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Anyone out there have experience breeding this species? I've had a nice colony for the past few years and i've ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: RADDC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E.lucifuga breeding...

Anyone out there have experience breeding this species? I've had a nice colony for the past few years and i've finally seen eggs develop inside what I now know to be females! I know they typically go deep into caves to lay their eggs, so I'm tranisitioning them into mostly darkness, but there is sparse information about where they lay them. Even Petranka's book contains very little.

Thanks in advance.

RADDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: E.lucifuga breeding...

They oviposit in similar ways as other Eurycea, under submerged rocks, along the sides of pools, even just generally in the substrate of the creek/cave habitat. Specific details can be found at AmphibiaWeb, a great resource to use for information about many species.

As for the environmental conditions required, try using recommendations that have worked for E. bislineata or E. longicauda. Both can be found in caves, and I believe both will oviposit in caves. They're also rather closely related.

Good luck! And post pics if you have any success.

Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack