The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Mixing A.lugubris

This is a discussion on Mixing A.lugubris within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello. I have a question regardning Aneides lugubris. I got two groups consisting of three and four animals. They are ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Badmungo has started on the right path
Default Mixing A.lugubris

Hello.

I have a question regardning Aneides lugubris.

I got two groups consisting of three and four animals. They are subadult and I have no idea what sex they are.

I have heard that these species will attack each other when presented to individuals that they have not grown up with. And that they probably would kill each other doing so.
Is there anybody who can confirm, or deny, this statement with experience of their own?

Best regards.

Fredrik Olofsson.

Badmungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: josh has given consistently good advice and informationjosh has given consistently good advice and informationjosh has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Mixing A.lugubris

I don't think you will have such a problem, especially as juvies. Adult males may fight and cause serious injury. Setting them up in a spacious enclosure and them separating pairs or trios out when they mature may be a good idea.

Large groups of lugubris regularly congregate in large groups of unrelated animals in tree cavities and under logs during the winter as well as summer months to avoid the extremes. If they congregate in large groups in the wild, I'm sure you can pull it off in captivity as well :)

josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

For sure the males will begin to fight as they mature, and they are quite brutal. As for females, I have had issues with introducing new females into groups, where the established female did attack. It may be a space issue though since I used smaller enclosures with limited cover. You might be able to get around using a larger set-up with plenty of cover and introducing new animals on the opposite end of where the established members reside.

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Badmungo has started on the right path

Thank you very much for your answers. It helps a lot. I'll keep them as they are for now (groups of three and four) and then see what i'll do in the future. I'll problably have them in a larger set-up to start with.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Best regards

Badmungo is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack