The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Plethodon Cinereus, rare coloration?

This is a discussion on Plethodon Cinereus, rare coloration? within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I was in the woods a couple of months back and found this Plethodon Cinereus. I already had what I ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greatwtehunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 28
Rep: EasternNewtLove has shown reliable knowledge
Default Plethodon Cinereus, rare coloration?

I was in the woods a couple of months back and found this Plethodon Cinereus. I already had what I thought was enough of them, but he had these... spots on him. It was very obvious. I was standing upright and rolled the log over and saw he looked odd, so I looked up close and noticed he had golden flecks on him. He was really a chance encounter as I had been walking home with my friend after pond-scouting in the woods and decided to roll over a log in an are we had lots of luck in before.So what Im wondering, is is this a common or rare color morph? Has it been seen on the leadback variety before? Or is it normal for leadbacks to have golden flecks?

Also, I have a side question, do Plethodon Cinereus grom back any missing limbs? I found one at a park missing a foot, took her in, and it appears that bone structure is reforming in the stub and early sings of digits are appearing.
Attached Thumbnails
Plethodon Cinereus, rare coloration?-salamander.jpeg  

EasternNewtLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Plethodon Cinereus, rare coloration?

I've seen a couple colored like that. I'd say it's unusual, but not rare.

Regrowth is common in all caudates. If she's clean and well-fed, it should grow back within a couple of months.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

I have one of these!!! I tought it was a richmondi!

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

If it were on the west coast, I would identify it as P.dunni rather than P.vehiculum. It's entirely possible that these are an unrecorded range extension for another species, or an unidentified species. It would be worthwhile searching similar nearby habitats to see how common this form is, whether is sympatric with anything else, and have them compared morphometrically, morphologically, and genetically to other populations and identified species.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljorgo View Post
I have one of these!!! I tought it was a richmondi!
All you have to do is check the belly and throat. If it's solid grey/black then it.s P. richmondi. P. cinereus will have salt and pepper flecking on it's underside.

Old 7th May 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Munfy is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say it is most likely P. cinerues I find them in my back yard all the time. I could go out the and flip a couple rocks and find about 10 standered redbacks 5 or 6 leadbacks 2 or 3 with white flecking and another couple with simmilar gold colors all in the span of 20 minutes, they abosolutly swarm my back yard

Munfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 28
Rep: EasternNewtLove has shown reliable knowledge

Yeah, I knew it was Plethodon Cinereus. I just wanted to know if gold flecks were rare.

EasternNewtLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Munfy is an unknown quantity at this point

From what iv seen around my area they're deffinitly one of the least common colors nice find and pictures

Munfy is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack