The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

P. cylindraceus breeding

This is a discussion on P. cylindraceus breeding within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; So I know it's not easy getting Plethodontids to breed in captivity, but I am trying. I know Tim Herman ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: heavysleaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P. cylindraceus breeding

So I know it's not easy getting Plethodontids to breed in captivity, but I am trying. I know Tim Herman has had success breeding these in the large zoo enclosure and Neotenic_Jaymes has a variety of these guys. I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice.

I currently have a 55 gallon housing 6 P. cylindraceus. I think I have 3.3 I know I have 3 males for sure. Do you think I would have a better chance housing these as m/f pairs in 10-20 gallon tanks or leave them all in the 55 gallon? I have seen no aggression from the males and some of these guys are very brave, moving about during the day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The tank is currently in a room that is unheated, but due to this extremely mild winter, it never gets below 55 degrees, so not much of a cooling period. Thanks!

heavysleaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Willlis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: P. cylindraceus breeding

I think you would be fine in a 55g. I do think that temperature combined with some sort of simulated rainy period would be your best bet to get them to breed. Take advantage of a storm system in the early spring, those barometric pressure changes could help you along as well. Good luck! Hope to see some pictures of babies

Willlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavysleaze View Post
That would be Tim Taherman...you have to love auto correct.
That would be Tim Herman... you have to love people who don't know when their mistakes have been lovingly corrected for them

Old 21st January 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Cool. Thanks. I thought my phone corrected it.

Old 24th January 2012   #5 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

FWIW I had a pair of P. glutinosus breed off exhibit in a Rubbermaid polycarbonate tub (<10 gallon tank equivalent) this year. They had been housed together for almost 3 years with no eggs until this year. The female laid under a cork bark slab and tended eggs until hatching. So it doesn't take a fancy exhibit apparently, just temp/photoperiod cycling, a male and a female that like each other, and some luck.

Hope you're successful too!
Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Tim-

Thanks for all of the great advice you have given me on this site! You are an invaluable resource! In your opinion, do you think I should separate these into pairs or leave them be in the 55g?

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Do you think if I left these guys in the 55g I could get away with 4 pairs in a tank this size? I've seen no aggression. The CC caresheet suggests "good success" with 2 males and 3 females in a 10 gallon tank, so I would think 8-9 in a 55 gallon would be ok. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 26th January 2012   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

I have a group of 5 that I keep together year round. The get a winter cooling period and a warm summer. They are housed in a woodland style (lots of leaf litter and large pieces of bark) 40 gallon breeder tank.

I usually find the eggs mid-late August. Although one year I did find them the first week of September.

Old 27th January 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks Justin. My setup is very similar with leaf litter and bark, some moss. Maybe I will get lucky! Have you reared the young? Do they grow slowly? I've had a 2" juvenile for about 6 months. He has a great appetite, but appears to be a slow grower.

LinkBack