The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Male Bolitoglossa mexicana

This is a discussion on Male Bolitoglossa mexicana within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello All, Just thought I would share some photos of this beautiful Salamander I found in Belize last year. Hope ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Jay Redbond
  • 1 Post By Jay Redbond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Male Bolitoglossa mexicana

Hello All,

Just thought I would share some photos of this beautiful Salamander I found in Belize last year.

Hope to get some in captivity one day and set up a breeding program with them.

What a stunner, enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Male Bolitoglossa mexicana-img_0316.jpg   Male Bolitoglossa mexicana-img_0332.jpg   Male Bolitoglossa mexicana-img_0335.jpg   Male Bolitoglossa mexicana-img_0317.jpg   Male Bolitoglossa mexicana-img_0315.jpg  

Jay Redbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Male Bolitoglossa mexicana

Absolutely stunning, what a wonderful find!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Nice pictures!

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: methodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and information

Hello Jay,

Thank you SO much for posting. I am really interested in Bolitoglossines and at the moment reading up as much as I can, and setting up a group for breeding would be a dream to me as well.

Is it similar to B. dofleini, that males are more "rare", because they occur in the heights of plantation ? Eager to hear something about that trip to Belize, you need to tell us more :)

Once again - thank you for the pictures, they are amazin.

Greetings
Jakob

Old 31st January 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodik View Post
Hello Jay,

Thank you SO much for posting. I am really interested in Bolitoglossines and at the moment reading up as much as I can, and setting up a group for breeding would be a dream to me as well.

Is it similar to B. dofleini, that males are more "rare", because they occur in the heights of plantation ? Eager to hear something about that trip to Belize, you need to tell us more :)

Once again - thank you for the pictures, they are amazin.

Greetings
Jakob
Hi Jakob,

Unfortunately I was there before the rainy season so that was the only one I found. We only had one heavy down pour, an this little guy was probably trying to catch an early female. I'm not certain about the males being rarer than the females, but they are apparently very common in Belize.

I have got a few projects that I would like to set up out there so will be going back ASAP.

Belize is a beautiful place it has amazing animals and the locals are very friendly. When I return it will be during the rainy season so I can look into your question about males being rarer.

Cheers

Jay

Last edited by Jay Redbond; 31st January 2012 at 22:20.
Jay Redbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Awesome! I am also a big fan of Bolitoglossine salamanders. Very cool find and nice pictures!

Old 11th March 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aneides has started on the right path

All tropical salamanders are aweome, but Bolitoglossa sp. seen to capture my eye. What a beautiful speciman!

Aneides

LinkBack