The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Eucyrea cirrigera

This is a discussion on Eucyrea cirrigera within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Found some of these larvae in the creek behind my house. I keep a lot of fish so I've got ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: salamanderlogic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eucyrea cirrigera

Found some of these larvae in the creek behind my house. I keep a lot of fish so I've got plenty of small tanks to keep them in. Any advice on setting up their tank? Right now theyre in an inch of water with an air stone and im feeding them live daphnia.

Thanks
Matt
salamanderlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Risigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Eucyrea cirrigera

I have kept these on several occasions and they are one of my favorite salamanders. For the babies, you can keep several in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a few rocks for them to hide under. You can provide sand as a substrate, but I prefer to keep the bottom bare as it is easier for clean up. Another tip is to lean the rocks against the sides of the tank so that you can keep an eye on the larvae. Daphnia is a great food for them, and mine have also eaten blackworms with gusto. The size that they morph at seems to change, but most of mine morphed once they reached around 5cm-ish.
Risigan is offline   Reply With Quote