The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

P. cinereus

This is a discussion on P. cinereus within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Went out herping today near a little stream, found a little redbacked out there, decided to keep it. Pretty new ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Vort is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P. cinereus

Went out herping today near a little stream, found a little redbacked out there, decided to keep it. Pretty new to plethodontid keeping, I've seeded the substrate with springs, and as a dart frog keeper, I've got plenty of fruit flies around. I will move him to a small five gallon tank within the week, most probably.

Click the image to open in full size.

Vort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: daedae has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: P. cinereus

How small is he? He looks ridiculously cute!

daedae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vort View Post
Went out herping today near a little stream, found a little redbacked out there, decided to keep it. Pretty new to plethodontid keeping, I've seeded the substrate with springs, and as a dart frog keeper, I've got plenty of fruit flies around. I will move him to a small five gallon tank within the week, most probably.

Click the image to open in full size.
P. cinereus do well on fruit flies but I'd throw small worms in there every now and then. They also get used to people feeding them and may come out when it sees you approaching. If not they'd still eat and let you watch! Requirements are minimal and they aren't completely shy. A good choice for a 1st salamander especially if you like Plethodons.

Old 27th March 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Good info, man. I've been reading that they are territorial to other redbacks they don't know, if I where to find another specimen, would this be a problem? What should my feeding schedule be?

Old 28th March 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Also, how long will it take them to adjust to captive life? Are they problematic eaters before they adjust?

Also, he is climbing the glass most of the time. Temperature inside the tank is hovering at a steady 68 degrees (F). I'm not all that worried as he doesn't seem interested in escaping so much as hanging around on the glass.

Old 29th March 2012   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vort View Post
Also, how long will it take them to adjust to captive life? Are they problematic eaters before they adjust?

Also, he is climbing the glass most of the time. Temperature inside the tank is hovering at a steady 68 degrees (F). I'm not all that worried as he doesn't seem interested in escaping so much as hanging around on the glass.
They never gave me a problem and always ate. Even when they were new captives. It may take a couple weeks for it to settle down and not roam about frequently. Is there anything it can hide under? If your Redback is constantly exposed and is crawling around it could be a sign of stress.

I kept 3 of them together without and conflicts.

Old 29th March 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

He does have a strong feeding response, not sure if he is actually getting the flies. He has three hides. and is currently settled under some moss.

LinkBack