The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Identify please

This is a discussion on Identify please within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Ive been told two lined ,three lined, necturus and others please give me a definite answer...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By John

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: Traxolotl has given good advice and informationTraxolotl has given good advice and information
Default Identify please

Ive been told two lined ,three lined, necturus and others please give me a definite answer
Attached Thumbnails
Identify please-imag0294.jpg   Identify please-imag0296.jpg   Identify please-imag0314.jpg  

Traxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Identify please

How big and where from? At a guess I will say Eurycea something.

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Definitely Eurycea. I'd say Eurycea guttolineata, E. longicauda, or E. lucifuga.

Old 14th April 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I totally think Eurcyea but the more I thought about it I got more confused. I know you said maybe its N. punctatus but I still think its to slim to be a Necturus. Plus the limbs and toes are very long to be Necturus but I could be wrong. The coastal spotting seems more of Eurycea and other Plethodontid. Necturus juvenile/larvae traits are stripes or solid darker coloration.

Old 14th April 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Traxolotl has given good advice and informationTraxolotl has given good advice and information

They're almost three inches.

Old 15th April 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information

These are definitely Eurycea and not Necturus. I don't think that they are E. guttolineata, and if they were found in my neck of the woods (S Mississippi), I'd ID them as E. cirrigera (our version of the two-lined).

Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information

They look a lot like the larval Eurycea cirrigera I found all the time, when I lived in Georgia and I'm betting that's exactly what they are.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Infamous82 is an unknown quantity at this point

The 2 lines around here are fully developed at 2.5-3 in. and the 3 lined larvae I have seen have the stripes developed at that size, so not sure. I'm pretty sure that they are not necturus though.

Infamous82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I think they are kinda big for any of the Two-lined species. I honestly believe they are Eurycea lucifuga.

Old 27th April 2012   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

They all have nice big fluffy gills. And none of them have the same color all diffrent shades

Old 28th April 2012   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information

Two lined salamander larvae can get beyond 5 cm in total length, so these do not look too big.

The dorsolateral pigmented lines of three lined salamander larvae have much more melanin (black pigment) in them than the two lined larvae do, at least in my area. Two lined larvae tend to have more streaking in the stripes than do the three lined, and the lines tend to be thinner.

As for whether or not it is lucifuga, that I do not know as they do not occur in my area. But see what the keys say.

As for the bushyness or redness of the gills - these traits change with time and environmental conditions. I keep Eurycea larvae in the lab. Those that come in with very short gill filaments can develop longer, bushier filaments over time (a couple of weeks). As for the background color, or shading, I have collected Eurycea cirrigera larvae that are almost pitch black (see the first picture), and those that are pale with almost no melanin whatsoever (see the second picture). The third picture is of a smaller E. cirrigera larva. You should be able to see the pairs of dorsolateral spots in all of these photos, this is a trait that is supposed to be indicative of E. cirrigera, and not present in E. guttolineata. Again, you're larvae are Eurycea, and if they were down here I'd say cirrigera. But look in to lucifuga or possibly longicauda? I believe that looking for dark ventral surfaces of toes is a trait used with these species?
Attached Thumbnails
Identify please-p101009120120421_64.jpg   Identify please-p308482020120308_19.jpg   Identify please-p216476720120216_50.jpg  

Old 28th April 2012   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Have you had fairly large ones? I caught a tiny 1 incher in my creek but those three were collected from the top of a mountain in the water that flows into a lake like 30 yards away.

Last edited by Jacquie; 28th April 2012 at 02:07.
Old 28th April 2012   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

I believe the largest Eurycea cirrigera larvae is 60 or 70 mm (2.5 - nearly 3 inches). It's mentioned in Lannoo's book, which I don't have on hand at the moment. I have two in the lab that are in the process of metamorphosing and they are both around that length.

Old 28th April 2012   #14 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I'd agree, don't look like lucifuga or longicauda/guttolineata. They are probably some sort of two-lined.

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Todd Pierson has given good advice and informationTodd Pierson has given good advice and information

Agreed. These are definitely the E. bislineata complex.

Todd Pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Their head shape really looks to be a Eurycea species. They look like Eurycea cirrigera to me. Neotenic adults are found in Alabama. They seem very large at 3 inches to not have morphed or they about to do so. You might be very lucky and have some neotenic adults. Keep their water quality good and they should stay that way if they are.

LinkBack