The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Eurycea bislineata breeeding attempt.

This is a discussion on Eurycea bislineata breeeding attempt. within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have Eurycea bislineata for about 2,5 years now, but I have never done a breeding attempt before. My group ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Jari B has shown reliable knowledge
Default Eurycea bislineata breeeding attempt.

I have Eurycea bislineata for about 2,5 years now, but I have never done a breeding attempt before. My group contains 6 adult animals with unsure sexes. I have seen in the past that 2 of the animals had a cirri visible, so I guess that those 2 are males.

After some research I thought about a good breeding tactic that might work. Their normal set up was a really basic one with a few stones with holes in them. The temperature is almost constant all year round. To break this normal habit I stopped feeding them for 1 week and after that I put my entire group in a cricket box with damp moss in the fridge at 6 degrees Celsius. They are in the fridge for 1 week already and I noticed egg development in at least 2 of my animals. The ovary are visible from underneath and you can see the eggs in several different sizes in the females developing. The activity is dramatically reduced since they are in the fridge but the development started when they entered the fridge.

Click the image to open in full size.

I am thinking about keeping them for 1-1,5 more weeks in the fridge to make sure they have a good cooling period. During their current time in the fridge I have changed their aqua-terrarium as you can see on the pictures below. I am advised to put a small pump in the aqua-terrarium to make a current that will probably make the bislineata lay their eggs. In their aquarium before they entered the fridge I had no pump.

I would like to hear your opinion and tips in my breeding attempt. Sorry for the bad quality of some of the pictures.

Jari B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: elKendo97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Eurycea bislineata breeeding attempt.

Has they go? Worked?

elKendo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014   #3 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Eurycea bislineata breeeding attempt.

They have bred a few times for me in a 10g tank with gravel, stacked flat rocks about 2/3 of the way to the top, and a water level 3-4" deep, with a constant trickle of water flowing over the rocks. Temp and photoperiod were adjusted seasonally, from a winter low ~40F to a summer high of 68F.

Good luck!

Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bislineata, breeding, eurycea

LinkBack