The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

P. Cinereus Breeding

This is a discussion on P. Cinereus Breeding within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi, I have 3 P. Cinereus which I have been keeping for over 2 years now, and I was wondering ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2012   #1 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 13
Comments: 0
Rep: firedreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and information
Default P. Cinereus Breeding

Hi,

I have 3 P. Cinereus which I have been keeping for over 2 years now, and I was wondering what steps I should take to encourage them to breed. I know that I have at least 1 female and 1 male (verdict is out on the third sal). All of my Caudates are kept in my climate controlled "newt room", so there is little to no seasonal variation in temperature. I was wondering if I should fridge my P. Cinereuses in order to trigger breeding season responses? If so, how long should I fridge them for? (minimum time?)

Thanks,

Lydia

firedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: P. Cinereus Breeding

Is there a way to reduce the winter temperature in your newt room? I'll bet all (or almost all) of your caudates would benefit.

Sorry, I don't have a specific answer on the cinereus. They should be able to tolerate living in the fridge though.

Old 19th June 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: firedreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and information

My newt room is in basement and is also subject to central air con, so unfortunately there is no way to make it any colder. It remains at a temperature of about +19 Celsius year round.

Old 19th June 2012   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Plethodon need extremes to breed. You would need to alternate temperatures between very low at least 4-5șC to moderate high around 25șC, So yeah a LOT of variance during the year. Some day light time is also an important factor but I cant say anything about that.
I am still waiting too.

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks, Eljorgo!

Do you have any advice on how long I should fridge them for? Would 1 week be sufficient? (I have never actually fridged any of my animals before, so I am a bit worried about going overboard.)

If a high temperature is required immediately following fridging, I could place their tank outside in my garage where the temperature is between +25-30C during the day. Otherwise, they would be returning to the newt room where it is a steady +19/20C. If the former option is preferrable, how long should they be left in the higher temperature environment?

Sorry for all of the questions. I really want to make sure that I do this right and don't endanger my adults! Thank you very much for your help!

Lydia

Old 22nd June 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Jennewt - I think I forgot to thank you for your input. Sorry about that, and thank you! Do you know how long I should fridge for?

LinkBack