The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Xanthic E. cirrigera larva?

This is a discussion on Xanthic E. cirrigera larva? within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello all! I caught this little guy/gal earlier this morning in one of my study streams. It is an Eurycea ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Lamb
  • 1 Post By Lamb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Xanthic E. cirrigera larva?

Hello all!

I caught this little guy/gal earlier this morning in one of my study streams. It is an Eurycea cirrigera (southern two-lined salamander), and I'm wondering if there is a general term for this unusual color morph? The specimen, which is being raised in the lab, has xanthophores and iridiophores on its body, but no melanophores, except for those in the stripe within its irises. Ideas? I looked at the Axolotl page, and by the definitions there it might be a xanthic albino? But the melanin in its iris makes me doubt that.
Attached Thumbnails
Xanthic E. cirrigera larva?-edited-maybe-xanthic-26_04-watermark.jpg  

Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jaster has started on the right path
Default Re: Xanthic E. cirrigera larva?

That is an odd looking thing...

Albinos have the pink eyes though. Maybe a xanthic/ leucistic mix? Or maybe the colors will come in with age.

Still an awesome find!

-Bradley
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information

But do albino larva this small (the black tick marks represent centimeters) have obviously pink eyes? Searching for albinos, leucistics, and xanthics on Caudata.org results in a lot of Axolotl posts.

I'm raising it in the lab, so I'll be able to monitor how its color changes through time.

Anyone have tips on photographing very pale larvae?

Old 6th August 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aneides has started on the right path

Very cool find. Cheers.

Aneides

Old 6th August 2012   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Leucistic animals have normal melanin, but a mutation that prevents the melanin from migrating, so only the eyes have pigment. That seems to fit this one perhaps; do normal animals of this species have solid black eyes, or do they have pigment in the same parts of the eye that this one does? Aside from the missing melanin, the remaining pigment may be normal for this species (not necessarily xanthic).

For photography, it helps to have a small clear container (I use display cubes from an office product store) and hold it against a medium-color background (not black or white).

Old 6th August 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jaster has started on the right path

E. cirrigera do have a black stripe through the eye like this one, but this individuals seems weak.

Lamb, does your lab have a dissecting microscope? That would allow for some really good shots, especially if it is hooked up digitally.

-Bradley
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
E. cirrigera do have a black stripe through the eye like this one, but this individuals seems weak.

Lamb, does your lab have a dissecting microscope? That would allow for some really good shots, especially if it is hooked up digitally.
Yup, we just got a good dissecting scope with a camera. But the camera and the computer aren't communicating well (the computer's live feed wont focus). I'm working on fixing that. Once I do, I'll get some good photos.

The arrangement of the yellow/orange is similar to how the yellow/gold color is distributed in normal larvae. Leucistic individuals have black pupils but this guy doesn't. I thought that all that "xanthic" meant was that the individuals were capable of producing yellow pigments, but not others.

Old 12th August 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

I managed to get the camera on the scope to focus. I think it was just a user error

Here are a few photos. They look very yellow on the computer I'm currently using, but I didn't play with the settings (no editing except to shrink them). The individual is yellowish in life, though. You can clearly see the eyes here, and I've included a shot of the pelvic region so you can see the mottling. After looking at these up close and on a bigger monitor, I realized that the lighter areas (i.e., around the jaw line, and mottling on the side of the tail) are about where I would expect to see melanin in a normally pigmented individual.
Attached Thumbnails
Xanthic E. cirrigera larva?-odd-e.cirr-head-2.jpg   Xanthic E. cirrigera larva?-odd-e.cirr-head.jpg   Xanthic E. cirrigera larva?-odd-e.cirr-body.jpg  

Last edited by Lamb; 12th August 2012 at 04:48. Reason: Added more info
Old 12th August 2012   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and information

Thanks for posting your find and showing us this really interesting individual. Would it be possible to post a photo of a normal coloured youngster next to this one? I'm guessing some kind of albino but beyond that I'm not sure.

Regards Neil

Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here is a figure that depicts the range of color patterns you see in normal type individuals of E. cirrigera, along with a photo of the oddball.
Attached Thumbnails
Xanthic E. cirrigera larva?-normal-xanthic-e.-cirrigera-larvae-654x1024-.jpg  

Old 12th August 2012   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

It seems to me like a form of severe hypomelanism. The iridophores are clearly present, as are the xanthophores, but the only melanin seems to be in the eyes. If it were leucistic i would have expected a more normal eye coloration, but its clearly lacking in pigmentation.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack