The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

P. ruber courtship? video

This is a discussion on P. ruber courtship? video within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; So about 4 weeks ago, I moved my 6 rubers to a 40 gallon semi-aquatic setup hoping for some breeding ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By heavysleaze
  • 1 Post By Azhael

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: heavysleaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P. ruber courtship? video

So about 4 weeks ago, I moved my 6 rubers to a 40 gallon semi-aquatic setup hoping for some breeding to take place. Since I have put them in the new tank, I haven't seen any of them until tonight. I turned on the light and witnessed this. Is it courtship or am I wishfully thinking? Anyone with experience with these guys, let me know! Thanks. Sorry about the lo-res video, I was in a hurry. I am not sure if we can embed video on here...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NdouC4ZFZTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

heavysleaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: P. ruber courtship? video

Link isn't working

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The link works if you just copy out the URL: prubervid - YouTube

Looks like courtship to me, with all the chin-rubbing....Look out for eggs - check the thread about Plethodontid breedings by 'Taherman' for some more notes on egg deposition and rearing.

Good luck!

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012   #4 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Yep, that's courtship. Good luck!

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: KingCam has given consistently good advice and informationKingCam has given consistently good advice and informationKingCam has given consistently good advice and information

Aw They love each other XD Congrats, and good luck!

KingCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Fantastic behaviour, thank you very much for sharing it!
Good luck too, lets hope fertile eggs are on the way.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: heavysleaze is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies guys. This is great news. Taherman, I'll ask you specifically as you are the most experienced Plethodontid keeper on here. Any idea how soon I should be looking for eggs? Surprisingly I didn't do anything to promote this courtship aside from moving a larger number of sals in a bigger tank. Before I had them in groups of three, each group in a 20 gallon long. The air temperature in their new room is a bit cooler. Stays around 66F. Tank setup is a 40 gallon breeder with water about 6 inches deep. One third of the tank is land mass with a small stream that runs through the tank. I am using an underwater pump and a filter to keep the water moving somewhat. I discovered this behavior at 2:40am and even with the overhead light on they remained in a trance for at least 5 minutes. So I guess the changes were a couple of degrees cooler air temperature, more water/space, more water flow and a larger group of animals. So if all goes well, I will have some CB rubers available in...errr....3-4 years! Thanks again to everyone!

heavysleaze is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack