The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Northern Dusky Salamander larvae or Northern Red larvae?

This is a discussion on Northern Dusky Salamander larvae or Northern Red larvae? within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Not sure if this is the right section, I would appreciate it if someone could post for me some well ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: axolotlfreak56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Northern Dusky Salamander larvae or Northern Red larvae?

Not sure if this is the right section, I would appreciate it if someone could post for me some well taken, detailed pictures of Northern Dusky Salamander (Desmognathus fuscus) and Northern Red Salamander (Pseudotriton ruber) larvae, but specifically I need to see pictures of NEWBORNS. I can't seem to find anything detailed on the internet and having trouble identifying some newborns that I just found in my tank this morning. Its a tank of mixed species (throwing that out there now) and I've finally had my first successful (yet unintended) breeding occur. They're very small and the lighting is terrible in my basement so I can't get a good picture. I've seen plenty of larvae of these salamanders, but I have no idea what they look like when they're newly hatched. And I also was unable to find any egg remains. So I don't know what I'm dealing with here, only that I have pairs of these two types of salamanders in my tank and they're the only salamanders I have that would be possible to breed.

axolotlfreak56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012   #2 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Northern Dusky Salamander larvae or Northern Red larvae?

I would probably bet money they are D. fuscus. P. ruber larvae look like embryos, they hatch very early in development and just lay there for a long time. Desmognathus larvae are much further along and ready for action. They will usually have some pigmentation/pattern. Red salamander larvae look essentially patternless until shortly before metamorphosis.

Attached are photos of a 10 day old ruber larva, and a newly hatched D. welteri larva. D. fuscus should look pretty similar.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Dusky Salamander larvae or Northern Red larvae?-ruber-larva-day10.jpg   Northern Dusky Salamander larvae or Northern Red larvae?-d_welteri.jpg  

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: axolotlfreak56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Northern Dusky Salamander larvae or Northern Red larvae?

Thanks for the input. Turns out they were D. fuscus after all.

axolotlfreak56 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack