The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Captive bred Aneides aeneus.

This is a discussion on Captive bred Aneides aeneus. within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; The local media mentioned it in a newspaper article, so I don't think it's a secret any more. Zoo helping ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree15Likes
  • 14 Post By taherman
  • 1 Post By taherman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2012   #1 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Captive bred Aneides aeneus.

The local media mentioned it in a newspaper article, so I don't think it's a secret any more.
Zoo helping to sustain salamander population - Toledo Blade

For the record, I do not believe that the Northern Slimy Salamander hatched at the zoo was the first time any salamander was bred in a zoo setting

After many years of trying, I was finally successful at breeding Green Salamanders at the zoo. These were produced by a pair of adults that has been at the zoo since 2007.

Around 15 hatchlings survived and are doing well, just started eating springtails and pinheads.

Enjoy,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Captive bred Aneides aeneus.-hatching-a_aeneus.jpg  

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Captive bred Aneides aeneus.

Most excellent work, Mr. Herman

Old 24th September 2012   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

This is definitely a good start and great news. Are they from a known population, or at least known enough to be sure of what species they are [given the liklihood of greens being a complex of 3-4 species]?

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012   #4 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Yes, I know where I collected them They are not from a rare clade.

Old 25th September 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: jaster has started on the right path

Awesome work! I can't wait to have a dream job like yours.

-Bradley
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012   #6 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Awesome work! I can't wait to have a dream job like yours.
And I wish I lived in western NC :P

Old 2nd October 2012   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Awesome, well worth the wait to see these finally bred!

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: MattM has started on the right path

This is awesome! I was just googling images of green salamanders just for kicks and I get this. I have been bugging my boss to get me some greens, but he doesn't care too much for salamanders.

MattM is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack