The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Surprise baby Plethodon jordani

This is a discussion on Surprise baby Plethodon jordani within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; While doing a feeding today I noticed a couple baby Red Cheek Salamanders. I usually don't give that tank a ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2012   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Surprise baby Plethodon jordani

While doing a feeding today I noticed a couple baby Red Cheek Salamanders. I usually don't give that tank a very thorough look, it kind of gets ignored because of the placing of the tank. Lower level a couple inches off the floor. Today I sat on the floor and did a feeding and noticed a couple babies poking their heads out.

Here is a picture of a baby with an adult.
Attached Thumbnails
Surprise baby Plethodon jordani-image-1.jpg   Surprise baby Plethodon jordani-image.jpg  

Old 25th October 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Surprise baby Plethodon jordani

Congrats! That means you're doing it right :P Very interesting species I wouldn't have known about if it weren't for your avatar. Look at those massive eyes

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012   #3 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

That's awesome!! How long have you had them, and where did you get the adults?

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by taherman View Post
That's awesome!! How long have you had them, and where did you get the adults?
I've had them since the spring of 2011. Came from a friend that said they were collected in SC.

Old 26th October 2012   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Congratulations. It is always good to hear of Plethodon breedings.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Msteffen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neotenic_Jaymes View Post
Came from a friend that said they were collected in SC.
No they weren't.....

Mike

Msteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: methodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and information

I already told you on fb how cool that was. Could you give a little bit of details on setup, temps, humidity, possible trigger? That would be great - I hope the only group in europe I know of will have some success in the future as well...

Old 26th October 2012   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msteffen View Post
No they weren't.....

Mike
Was it NC?

Old 26th October 2012   #9 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Gsmnp ...

Old 26th October 2012   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Gsmnp ...
I wasn't told the exact location but I doubt it. From what I remember It was either SC or NC.

Old 26th October 2012   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

They occur in other places than the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. And from what I remember he told me a couple places he was visiting and one of the places had a Native American name. Thats all I remember and if he said GSMNP I would have remembered. He wasn't in any National Park or Nature Reserve I tell you that.It would be silly to post something about the salamanders if they were i'll caught.

Quote:
Gsmnp ...
Are you saying they are from the GSMNP? Or asking? Well I don't see any question marks...

Old 26th October 2012   #12 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:

I'd just suggest you do some research into the distribution of that species as it is currently described.

Old 26th October 2012   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yep, taherman nailed it. I figured he knew the answer based on his short question.

Mike

Old 26th October 2012   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Wildebeestking is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats. You're obviously doing something right.

Old 26th October 2012   #15 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
I'd just suggest you do some research into the distribution of that species as it is currently described.
I've read a couple saying that they only occur in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. But I've come across range maps and other article snippets with other locale information.

Here's a link to a range map of Plethodon jordani. It shows GPS coordinates, longitude and latitude. There are many locations outside the GSMNP.

BerkeleyMapper

So after we get through the 2 issues, ill collecting and their range are you going to say anything about the breeding? Or you just here to test the quality?

Old 26th October 2012   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

That map is not accurate and is based on old distributions before P. jordani was split into multiple species. The red cheeked variety, is the only one which kept the name P. jordani, and is only found in the park at higher elevations. Now there are some other species which can have the red cheek a bit also, but in general, it is not very pronounced, and you find more red typically distributed on their legs also.

Mike

Old 26th October 2012   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Wildebeestking is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have sources to back that the map is false? At least Jaymes presented sources.

Old 27th October 2012   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildebeestking View Post
Do you have sources to back that the map is false? At least Jaymes presented sources.
Sure. Here is a better map which is more up to date.

AmphibiaWeb - Plethodon jordani

I am not sure what that isolate in Georgia is all about. I have doubts that is really P. jordani. You can also look at other species which were considered to be jordani in the past, such as shermani or cheoah. There is also the Highton and Peabody 2000 paper published in The biology of Plethodontid Salamanders. This book is full of a number of manuscripts and is super expensive. It is also very hard to get those manuscripts outside of that book. I could also recommend some articles on the evolution and relationships of Plethodon, but they do not really address geographic distribution.

Also, while Berkleymapper apparently did get an upgrade recently, which is kind of cool, their collection is not always up to date with the taxonomy. For instance, this next map is the map for Eurycea multiplicata. This species is only found in the Ouachita mountains, however in this map, it has the species ranging into the Ozarks also. However, the species in the Ozarks are actually E. tynerensis. This is described in Bonett and Chippindale 2004. "Speciation, phylogeography and evolution of life history and morphology in plethodontid salamanders of the Eurycea multiplicata complex" Interesting enough, even if they did update the map to what I just said, in a few more years, species in the Ozarks and Ouachitas are going to be split more based on genetics. This work will come out of the lab I work in, Dr. Ron Bonett.

I don't mean to pick a fight with anyone, but if those are P. jordani, then they were collected from within the park. I am not going to report anyone or anything, I am just saying. I am very familiar with Plethodontid salamanders in that area of the country. Especially, Desmogs, which often share similar distributions with Plethodon. For example, Desmognathus imitator also is primarily with the park, except for one place I know of where they do not look like imitators and it is on private property. Taherman also probably knows that place well since I am pretty sure he has collected from the park himself. Also interesting, is the specimens he collected may represent distinct species. He should really publish his thesis.

Now if you want me to comment on Plethodontid breeding, I will.

Does anyone ever have any issues with little white mites crawling on their Plethodontid eggs?

Mike

Old 27th October 2012   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: heavysleaze is an unknown quantity at this point

Amazing stuff. Congrats!

heavysleaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012   #20 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodik View Post
I already told you on fb how cool that was. Could you give a little bit of details on setup, temps, humidity, possible trigger? That would be great - I hope the only group in europe I know of will have some success in the future as well...
The group experienced simulated whether conditions. Dryer in the summer and very cold in the winter. Basic forest floor set up with dirt substrate, moss, wood logs and rocks. I actually don't know when the eggs were laid and how old the juveniles are. I'll definitely be keeping a closer view point.

LinkBack