The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bolitoglossines in the hobby

This is a discussion on Bolitoglossines in the hobby within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hey guys/gals, I'm new to the forum and have been keeing sallies since I was a little kid (although admittedly ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By methodik

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Vern5384 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bolitoglossines in the hobby

Hey guys/gals,

I'm new to the forum and have been keeing sallies since I was a little kid (although admittedly with little success then.) I've been contemplating getting into a couple of different things in the near future. A few questions I have are: Why are Bolitoglossines so rare in the hobby? How difficult to keep and breed are they compared to other plethodontids? What would a good species be for starting and where do people get these things?

Thanks

Vern5384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Bolitoglossines in the hobby

For example:
Bolitoglossa dofleini?

Old 1st December 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: methodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and information

Hi,

as one of the kids interested in them I can answer most of your questions, I guess.

1. They are rare, because they are not being exported anymore. Most, if not all, countries they occur in have stopped commercial exports or made it more difficult. This meets with a certain disinterest in the animals in the hobby. Whilst many frogs, also protected ones, are more or less regularly exported at high prices, noone would want to pay for the salamanders, because of their reputation, which leads to

2. They are different, because they also occur in different ranges. There have not been many people keeping them, making experienced advice a short supply. When imports still took place every now and then, most of the animals would die from the transport. One of the biggest problems is the high probability of Batrachytrium dendrobatidis in these salamanders,

so this leads to

3. There is no starter animal. If you dont have plenty of books to read through or friends who can tell you a lot about their care, their habitat in nature etc., I would strongly suggest not try and keep them - if you would want to, you'd have to go collect them yourself, anyways - and get the correct paperwork.

What I would suggest, if you are interested in them, is to search the web for all the information, get some books on them and maybe annoy some people who have been working with them (sorry, tropical zoo keepers of this world). Even the theoretical pursuit of knowledge about these fascinating species is much rewarding.

All the best greetings
Jakob

Old 2nd December 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Vern5384 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool. Thanks for the info, Jacob.

Vern5384 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack