The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Working with P. glutinosus

This is a discussion on Working with P. glutinosus within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I found two P. glutinosus last night on a trail at my college campus near northern Atlanta, Georgia. It was ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th December 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jake Hutton has shown reliable knowledge
Default Working with P. glutinosus

I found two P. glutinosus last night on a trail at my college campus near northern Atlanta, Georgia. It was in the low 70's and humid so I looked around and found two adults. I believe they are females but am not positive.

I know quite a few peopler are starting to work with them and I wanted to know if you have any advice on care and breeding. Right now I have them in a tight sweater box with a few small holes drilled in the lid, with slightly damp paper towels as substrate and for hides. I plan on eventually setting them up in a 20 gallon after I acquire some more.

Also while handling one, I found how prehensile their tails are. I snapped a few pictures with my phone.

Attached Thumbnails
Working with P. glutinosus-photo-20-.jpg   Working with P. glutinosus-photo-23-.jpg   Working with P. glutinosus-photo-22-.jpg  

Jake Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jaster has started on the right path
Default Re: Working with P. glutinosus

I would keep them as a kid, but never long term. Their care would be similar to other wooland Plethodon.

Check this out

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Plethodon/P_glutinosus.shtml

-Bradley
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aneides has started on the right path
Default Re: Working with P. glutinosus

Plethodon are great! By all means, I encourage Plethodon keepers! I've found that many eastern Plethodon species have "prehensile" tails. Not so much for the western sp., though.

Aneides

LinkBack