The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Rearing larval Eurycea

This is a discussion on Rearing larval Eurycea within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I'm looking for information regarding the successful rearing of larval Eurycea. Here is my proposed plan: I intend to keep ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nshepard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rearing larval Eurycea

I'm looking for information regarding the successful rearing of larval Eurycea.

Here is my proposed plan:

I intend to keep larvae in small aquariums (2.5-5 gallons) with a substrate consisting of non-buffering sand (same I've used with my Necturus for many years). Trail diet will consist of black worms, fruit flies, and chopped up red worms. Weekly 25% water changes and use of a sponge filter should ensure adequate water quality.

Nshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013   #2 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Rearing larval Eurycea

Sounds good. Might want to throw some java moss or other live plant material in to reduce nitrates/phosphates and improve water quality.

Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taherman View Post
Might want to throw some java moss or other live plant material in to reduce nitrates/phosphates and improve water quality.
Good point! Hopefully the local aquarium store will have / can get some. I'd really like to steer away from using black worms but have had great success with raising Ambystomatids with them in the past. Do you think Daphnia would work, I've never worked with them as food...easy to culture?

Old 21st March 2013   #4 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I've never tried using Daphnia, but have raised many many Eurycea of multiple species with brine shrimp, whiteworms, and blackworms.

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here is a photo of the animal I am trying to raise currently:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 5th May 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Risigan is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had the most luck with chopped blackworms for small larvae and just regular blackworms for larger larvae and aquatic adults. I have fed them daphnia before and they seemed fine.

Risigan is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack