The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Plethodon glutinosus breeding setups

This is a discussion on Plethodon glutinosus breeding setups within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have a group of 1.3 adults, one recently hatched baby, and one juvenile all collected from the same area ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yahilles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jake Hutton has shown reliable knowledge
Default Plethodon glutinosus breeding setups

I have a group of 1.3 adults, one recently hatched baby, and one juvenile all collected from the same area on my schools campus. I plan on breeding them and have set each female in their own terrarium. I have been keeping the male with one female for about a week then rotating him to the next female. Does anyone have any suggestions about any aspect of what I'm trying to do? I also have some pictures of the setups.
Attached Thumbnails
Plethodon glutinosus breeding setups-photo-1-14-.jpg   Plethodon glutinosus breeding setups-photo-2-14-.jpg   Plethodon glutinosus breeding setups-photo-3-11-.jpg   Plethodon glutinosus breeding setups-photo-4-10-.jpg   Plethodon glutinosus breeding setups-photo-2-15-.jpg  

Jake Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Plethodon glutinosus breeding setups

I would add more leaf litter and more bark, now it looks like too few places for animals to choose where to lay eggs.

If i understood right, you expect them to breed just because you put a male in one tank with a female. I don't think it works this simple. You will need to cycle them with a good cooling period.

Old 31st March 2013   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Stop moving the male around. All you are doing is stressing him out. Your chances of a breeding are being reduced.

Old 1st April 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

The animals have already been cycled. I will get some more leaf litter and I just added some loose moss to allow another hiding/burrowing place. I am hoping to get at least another male this week which would help reduce the stress on the lone male.

Old 9th April 2013   #5 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

There is literature that shows females of other species of Plethodon wailing on their mates if they smell another female on him. I don't think your strategy will be the best for increasing your chances of reproduction. In my experience, glutinosus pairs need to be housed together for years before they breed, even with consistent photoperiod and temperature cycling. You might be able to speed this up by capturing an established pair from the wild.

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

I have obtained two more adult males and now I have three pairs, each pair being set up in their own enclosure.

Old 29th April 2013   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: Herphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and information

Any species of slimy salamander doesn't do good in high temperatures (normal room temp during the summer) i know this because i had this problem when i kept some awhile but it was in the winter. unless you live in a cold area i suggest you figure out a way to cool them if you want them to be healthy and breed. and i dont think the cycling is gonna help you any. if you do it to often, good luck though.

Herphunter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack