The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Three Lined Salamander Inquiry

This is a discussion on Three Lined Salamander Inquiry within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hey there. I welcomed a three lined salamander home yesterday. The employee at the pet store mentioned that he would ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By redtxn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: brettawelch is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Three Lined Salamander Inquiry

Hey there. I welcomed a three lined salamander home yesterday. The employee at the pet store mentioned that he would do fine in a tank with some red efts I also have. I would enjoy them sharing that tank as it is rather large (20 gal) and offers a great deal of hiding space. Yet, I am apprehensive as I know many speak against allowing different genus (plural?) to live together. Any thoughts?

brettawelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Three Lined Salamander Inquiry

Given that 3-lineds prefer a more aquatic, stream-side habitat, versus the dry upland habitat preferred by efts, I would try setting it up in its own tank.

Neither species is aggressive, and they might do fine together, but you'd be doing so at risk of disease transmission (are your efts CB?).

FYI: plural of genus is 'genera'.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: Herphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and information

I wouldn't keep them with the efts, give it the 20 gallon long with alot of rocks and crevices to get under. you might want to stack up gravel on one end to make a land area and put bark hides on top of it , from what I have saw this species is mostly aquatic and preferes water over land but if you can provide a good land area then that doesnt hurt.

Herphunter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: Herphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and information

the more you can replicate the bank of a stream the better

Herphunter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

CB? Sorry lol

Old 5th June 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for the input guys. The one exotic pet store in my area has less than knowledgeable. They've claimed that my paddle-tail would prefer 75-80 degree F. False. Bad hobby for Las Vegas haha

Thanks again.

Old 5th June 2013   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Also, I am interested in outfitting his tank with some wood. What should I be wary of in that department? Obviously treated wood would be bad. With that, where might I go to find something suitable?

Thanks

Old 5th June 2013   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: redtxn has started on the right path

I've only seen one three-lined in the past year and it had a tail longer than its body. Interesting species. I always quarantine new arrivals in their own tank and usually end up setting up a new enclosure for them during their isolation period. I'm not one for mixing species, but mainly just like the excuse for having another landscape to play around with.

redtxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Here is an article about types of wood:
Caudata Culture Articles - Wood in Vivaria

Old 5th June 2013   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

CB = Captive Bred

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack