The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

P. serratus ratios

This is a discussion on P. serratus ratios within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hey guys, I just recently found 3.3 (very likely) P. serratus. I decided to set them up in individual pairs. ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yahilles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jake Hutton has shown reliable knowledge
Default P. serratus ratios

Hey guys, I just recently found 3.3 (very likely) P. serratus. I decided to set them up in individual pairs. Each pair is in a 76 oz container with a 60:40 ABG:leaf litter substrate and a few 2-3 inch long PVC pieces buried into the substrate.

I was just interested in seeing how others keep them and in what ratios. Also any breeding tips would be great.

Thanks!

Jake Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: Herphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: P. serratus ratios

That sounds fine as this isn't a very particular species when it comes to habitat or what they need in a setup. I find them everywhere and have kept them for a little while. Keep it moist and add alot of flat bark pieces. The hardest thing for me was finding food small enough. I have no experience breeding them but it sounds fine. Do you have any pics of the setup?

Herphunter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Sorry for taking so long to get some pictures up. All three groups seem to be doing well and are apparently eating fruit flies and possibly springtails.
Attached Thumbnails
P. serratus ratios-cam01043.jpg   P. serratus ratios-cam01057.jpg   P. serratus ratios-cam01046.jpg   P. serratus ratios-cam01048.jpg   P. serratus ratios-cam01051.jpg  

P. serratus ratios-cam01052.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jaster has started on the right path

Those setups look pretty ideal. I love the use of tupperware for Plethodontids, but keeping it enclosed and moist is also good for fungi. I would always clean and introduce new soil from the woods during warm months. That would also help to bring in more little bugs for food, which I guess is what you're relying on? If you dont know how already, taking a two liter bottle, cutting of and inverting the top, filling it with leaf litter (with moist substrate in the bottom of the bottle) and placing it under a desk lamp or any light source is a good way to capture little bugs like springtails to add to your enclosures. I plan on getting some more salamanders to tend for this year, all I have at the moment are frogs.... I suspect I'll be doing a lot of this. Good luck with the breeding!

-Bradley
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

What's wrong with fungi as long as the salamanders are healthy? In nature, under logs, stones and foliage the fungi live along with the caudates.

Old 2nd March 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

I like using a substrate that I trust and know, so I like to use either sphagnum or ABG. Plus, I can easily see what and if the animals have eaten the food I have offered.

Like Janusz mentioned, no need to worry about mold or fungus. I have about 20-25 holes poked into each lid and open them up twice a week for feeding and maintenance, providing plenty of air exchange to occur. Also fungus is good (for the most part), anything uneaten by the animals will be eaten by the fungus, making my job a bit easier.

I am also working with three different springtails, 4 different isopods, and both Drosophila sp., so collecting wild bugs is not necessary. But that would be a good method for collecting them.

LinkBack