The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Aneides lugubris breeding success

This is a discussion on Aneides lugubris breeding success within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Awesome man! I'm so jealous, youre a pro!...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2015   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: SnotOtter has started on the right path
Default Re: Aneides lugubris breeding success

Awesome man! I'm so jealous, youre a pro!

SnotOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015   #22 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotOtter View Post
Awesome man! I'm so jealous, youre a pro!
Not pro! Just lucky. Lucky enough to have a chance to work with this species. I think Aneides lugubris is a very hardy salamander and will breed for anyone who provides the right elements.

Old 30th August 2015   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: SnotOtter has started on the right path

What temps do you keep yours at? I've had eggs, but have been mostly infertile.

SnotOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015   #24 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotOtter View Post
What temps do you keep yours at? I've had eggs, but have been mostly infertile.
In winter they're kept at 40-55 degrees for about 3 months. And in warmer months 50-65 degrees. I have a friend who's gotten infertile eggs before and he can't figure it out either. Even though his housing is amazing similar to mine.

Old 19th September 2015   #25 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

The circle of life! Well it seems things are steady rotating. Back to looking after babies again. They are slowly emerging from their little eggs. Anyone want any please email me.

verticalflat@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides lugubris breeding success-image.jpeg  

Old 1st October 2015   #26 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

The babies hatched September 19th. They're doing great and still have remnants of yolk.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 25th October 2015   #27 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Let's compare last years babies to this years babies.
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides lugubris breeding success-image.jpg  

Old 7th December 2015   #28 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neotenic_Jaymes View Post
Not pro! Just lucky. Lucky enough to have a chance to work with this species. I think Aneides lugubris is a very hardy salamander and will breed for anyone who provides the right elements.
Congrats on your animals, haven't been active on the forums in a long time and I'm glad to see you've had success with them!

I have three lugubris, and was surprised to see two sets of tiny eyes staring out at me when I went to return an animal to the enclosure (I'd taken him out to show some kids when I was doing a program at work), and then found eight more with the parents (both adults were in the hide, if I remember right - I was a bit excited so it might have just been the mother). Definitely didn't do anything special, aside from the terrarium design - a flowerpot hide on its side, opening mostly covered in clayed-up wood, and a clay background with lots of tiny cracks - the little guys seemed to love hiding in the cracks as I raced to remove them from the parent tank, afraid they'd be eaten. Three weeks later, I found another little guy, so I was wondering, did you notice (or have any chance to notice) any potential cannibalism from the adults? He was out in the open, just a few inches from the adult I don't believe he's related to, and hadn't been eaten in that time - I was half tempted to leave him in there just to see how he'd do, but don't really want to risk it.

onetwentysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015   #29 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwentysix View Post
Congrats on your animals, haven't been active on the forums in a long time and I'm glad to see you've had success with them!

I have three lugubris, and was surprised to see two sets of tiny eyes staring out at me when I went to return an animal to the enclosure (I'd taken him out to show some kids when I was doing a program at work), and then found eight more with the parents (both adults were in the hide, if I remember right - I was a bit excited so it might have just been the mother). Definitely didn't do anything special, aside from the terrarium design - a flowerpot hide on its side, opening mostly covered in clayed-up wood, and a clay background with lots of tiny cracks - the little guys seemed to love hiding in the cracks as I raced to remove them from the parent tank, afraid they'd be eaten. Three weeks later, I found another little guy, so I was wondering, did you notice (or have any chance to notice) any potential cannibalism from the adults? He was out in the open, just a few inches from the adult I don't believe he's related to, and hadn't been eaten in that time - I was half tempted to leave him in there just to see how he'd do, but don't really want to risk it.
I think the risk is of parents eating the babies are very low. As long as your adults are well fed I think they're safe to be left with the parents for a while. But as precaution, removing the babies or the parents isn't a bad idea. Since the parents have done their job and no longer can do anything else for the babies, separation is a good idea.

Old 5th July 2016   #30 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Another year, another batch of eggs. This time the same female has laid 2 clutches of eggs.
Attached Thumbnails

LinkBack